Selling my Certified '03 V8 in NJ - $19,500!

Qbrozen

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there. I've decided to sell. We want to lower our monthly bills.

I'll set up a site with pics tomorrow. I want to stop in the morning and get it washed.

Anyway, figured I'd post it here first since so many folks seem to stop by asking if an LS they are looking at is a good buy or not. Based on prices I've seen, my asking price seems pretty good, especially considering its certified.

Its Medium Blue Metallic. About 37k miles. Chrome factory wheels, moonroof, traction/stability control, along with the typical LS V8 goodies. Lincoln certified until 5/09 or 75K miles.

PM me if your interested. Like I said, this is just a preliminary message to get things started. Pics will follow. Then I'll be posting on craigslist for a little while ... and, finally, probably winding up on Ebay if its not sold through these other venues.

Doesn't seem bad as far as dealer prices go, but private owner it's a little high. Considering it's certified and still carries a decent warranty I figure it's right in the ballpark.

KD00LS said:
Doesn't seem bad as far as dealer prices go, but private owner it's a little high. Considering it's certified and still carries a decent warranty I figure it's right in the ballpark.

I couldn't agree more. I think its a fair starting point. Obviously, folks want to haggle, so that's built into the price.

I'm just amazed at some of the prices I see folks coming here with and asking "is this a fair deal?" Its for that reason I'm saying this would look like a steal to some people.

ToddG said:
What does "Lincoln certified until 5/09 or 75K miles" mean?

It means it was certified by a Lincoln dealer (goes through a whole inspection process and everything that needs replacing is replaced - which, in the case of my car, they had to put on new brakes, for instance) and now carries an extended warranty.

So the bottom line is that this car is covered by a warranty for the next 3yrs/38k miles. Pretty much as good as buying a new car with a 3yr/36k factory warranty. :)

Qbrozen said:
It means it was certified by a Lincoln dealer (goes through a whole inspection process and everything that needs replacing is replaced - which, in the case of my car, they had to put on new brakes, for instance) and now carries an extended warranty.

So the bottom line is that this car is covered by a warranty for the next 3yrs/38k miles. Pretty much as good as buying a new car with a 3yr/36k factory warranty. :)

So all these items apply here?

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/cpo/articles/101200/page023.html

Can you send me pics and your bottom dollar price? Lets take this offline. I am in NY and am looking for an LS.

PM me some details.

I hate to burst the bubble, but when a car is "certified" only the dealer can sell them certified. Once you buy it, then sell it or trade it in, the certification doesnt go along with it. I went through this on my 02 I traded in a few months ago. I lot the certification through Lincoln even if I wanted to trade it in on another Lincoln at a Lincoln dealer. It sucks but thats the way it is. I thought I could get more because mine was certified too, but the next owner wouldnt get anything except for whats left on the factory warranty.

02V8Sport said:
I hate to burst the bubble, but when a car is "certified" only the dealer can sell them certified. Once you buy it, then sell it or trade it in, the certification doesnt go along with it.

That was my understanding too. I think its illegal to advertise the car as certified if you are not a dealer, and all those goodies that were shown in the link I posted above may not go with the car if it is sold through a private party. You can, however, say its been checked out.

I'd be very careful about what you say about this car being "certified", especially since it is not clear what benefits and privileges come with it given this is a private party sale. If you say one thing about it, a seller relies on that information, and it turns out not to be true, you could get into big trouble.

Wrong, folks. I made sure to read the printed material that came with my car. It specifically states that the car retains the certified warranty when you sell it. The certification is attached to the VIN number.

Ah, ya know what? I even have it here in front of me. Here is the exact paragraph:

"Warranty stays with vehicle. If you sell your Pre-owned vehicle, the remaining Premier Limited Warranty coverage remains in effect for the new owner."

Damn! just my luck. I stopped and got the car cleaned up this morning, then parked out away from everyone in the parking lot so I could take some pics. Then my camera died! arg!

I got to snap off the exterior shots, but I won't be able to post them until tonight since I can't even download them without batteries.

Qbrozen said:
Wrong, folks. I made sure to read the printed material that came with my car. It specifically states that the car retains the certified warranty when you sell it. The certification is attached to the VIN number.

Ah, ya know what? I even have it here in front of me. Here is the exact paragraph:

"Warranty stays with vehicle. If you sell your Pre-owned vehicle, the remaining Premier Limited Warranty coverage remains in effect for the new owner."

That's fine for the warranty. But what about the other perks, such as Roadside Assistance, towing, rental car reimbursement, etc., that are part of a certified vehicle? Do those go to the new owner too?

ToddG said:
That's fine for the warranty. But what about the other perks, such as Roadside Assistance, towing, rental car reimbursement, etc., that are part of a certified vehicle? Do those go to the new owner too?

Those are what the premier warranty is all about. Its part of the warranty, and the warranty goes with the car.

When I purchased my '03, in March of this year, I found paper work that showed it was a CPO Lincoln when the previous owner purchased it. I called the Ford ESP 800 number and after verifying I had indeed purchased the car, they transferred all the Premier Lincoln CPO warranty to me at no charge. The Premier CPO warranty clearly states it follows subsequent owners until the terms of the warranty expire. In my case that's until 01-03-09 or 75K miles. I now have 36K on the clock. BTW, the dealer I purchased it from never mentioned it was a CPO from another L/M dealer. They simply told me I had warranty until 48months or 50K miles. It pays to do some checking.

Qbrozen said:
Those are what the premier warranty is all about. Its part of the warranty, and the warranty goes with the car.

You're missing my point. The issue is not whether the warranty transfers to the new owner. It's pretty clear that it does. The question that needs a clear answer is: If you sell a "Certifed" car as a private party, do all the perks that come with the Certifed program go to the new seller, or can only dealers sell Certifed cars and provide the extra perks. Here's the list from the link I posted.

* Lincoln Premier Limited Warranty: 6years/75,000 miles from the date the car was first sold
* 141-Point inspection
* 24-Hr Roadside Assistance
* Towing assistance up to $100 for warranty and non-warranty problems, including accidents
* Travel Expense Reimbursement
* Rental Car Reimbursement
* Flat-tire changes on-site
* Fuel delivery if the vehicle runs out of fuel, up to two gallons at no charge
* Jump-starts for dead batteries
* Lockout assistance; up to $50 to unlock vehicle doors
* Warranty ID card
* Complimentary first oil and filter change
* $100 deductible

As you can see, the Premier Warranty is only one part of the entire Certified list of benefits. The part from your paperwork says "the remaining Premier Limited Warranty coverage remains in effect for the new owner" which is fine for just the warranty, but says nothing about the other features in the Certified program if you sell it as a private party. If you're going to advertise this car as "Certified" and sell it as a private party (which I'm not sure you can do anyway), you better be absolutely sure that all the perks in that list go to the new owner on sale because it sure isn't clear from what I've read and from what you've posted here.

I'm not missing your point, but apparently you misread my post.

All those perks are PART OF THE WARRANTY! I'm really not sure how much simpler I can state this.

Here, maybe another quote from the brochure will help:

Your warranty includes other premium services and features, such as:
component protection
low deductible
24-hour roadside assistance
rental car reimbursement
backed by lincoln
warranty stays with vehicle

Qbrozen said:
I'm not missing your point, but apparently you misread my post.

All those perks are PART OF THE WARRANTY! I'm really not sure how much simpler I can state this.

Here, maybe another quote from the brochure will help:

Your warranty includes other premium services and features, such as:
component protection
low deductible
24-hour roadside assistance
rental car reimbursement
backed by lincoln
warranty stays with vehicle

Yes, that's helpful and answers the question.

BTW, I wasn't trying to be difficult, just precise. From the postings above, there appeared to be a distinction between the warranty and the certification package as a whole.

Its all good. :)

by the way, for those waiting for pics, i'm sorry for the delay. My wife and new baby are running me ragged. I'm going to do everything in my power to get them up tonight!

Qbrozen,

Mind if I ask if you've tested a baby seat in the vehicle and how it fits? I am selling my Mustang as the rear seat in uncorfortably small and would like to know how an infant carrier sits in an LS.

eeprete said:
Qbrozen,

Mind if I ask if you've tested a baby seat in the vehicle and how it fits? I am selling my Mustang as the rear seat in uncorfortably small and would like to know how an infant carrier sits in an LS.

yes. I have one in there right now, as a matter of fact. I just leave it in there rather than take it out and reinstall it when I need it. Of course, I have it on the Lionheart seat protector so it doesn't damage the leather at all. :)

Its the Evenflow Triumph V. I have it set to rear-facing, at the moment, in the middle of the back seat (as it should be). I'm 6'5", so when I have the driver's seat set to where its comfortable for me (which means ALL the way back), the top of the baby seat is just next to the edge of the headrest, so its basically a perfect fit.

If we needed to, we could even put the carseat over to one side of the rear seat (i would just have to move my seat up a bit if it was behind me). It has LATCH hooks in all 3 of the back seating positions.

I never tried one of the carriers with the base in the Lincoln, as that particular setup is in my wife's car, but I have no doubt it would easily fit since it takes up less room than the Triumph seat (the triumph is good until he is much older, whereas the carrier is only good up until 25 lbs, so its smaller overall).

ok. got up the few pics i was able to snap off yesterday. One thing i messed up on when i first posted ... it does NOT have the chrome wheels. They are silver. I should have remembered that since I really didn't want the chrome wheels when I was shopping for my LS. I actually forgot and probably should have just looked out the window at my car, huh? lol. oh well.

by the way, the car is up on craigslist now for $19,495. I'll very likely start an ebay auction tomorrow. I'll post the link when that happens.

for now, here are the pics I have. I'll definitely have to take more before listing an auction.
share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbMWjFm2bs2J1

Ok. Have 9 pics total here:
share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbMWjFm2bs2KK

also forgot to mention (i wrote it in a PM, but forgot to state it in the thread) I have the LSKoncepts woodgrain dash kit. IMHO, it looks far better than the original painted silver look.

Sirius will be removed ... unless the buyer wants me to leave the antenna and power hookup ... in which case I'll just take the receiver itself and leave the wiring (i have a spare antenna and power cord at home).

Members online

No members online now.
Back