Select Shift Trans

Todd Lang

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Have a question about my 2001 LS V8. When I select manual shifting I cannot get it to go to 1st gear.
It starts out in 2nd. I can upshift and downshift so I know the shifter switches are working. But it never goes to 1st
Is this normal operation or do I have a transmission control module issue.
I am fairly new here this subject may have been touched on before but could not find this exact topic. If anyone has some insight on this it would be greatly appreciated

Hey everyone. Have a question about my 2001 LS V8. When I select manual shifting I cannot get it to go to 1st gear.
It starts out in 2nd. I can upshift and downshift so I know the shifter switches are working. But it never goes to 1st
Is this normal operation or do I have a transmission control module issue.
I am fairly new here this subject may have been touched on before but could not find this exact topic. If anyone has some insight on this it would be greatly appreciated
The 1st Gens were setup to start in 2nd to help with fuel mileage. It's no problem. Starting from 2nd in SST is quicker anyway because there's significant lag on the 1-2 shift. There is enough torque to spin the tires from second.

The 1st Gens were setup to start in 2nd to help with fuel mileage. It's no problem. Starting from 2nd in SST is quicker anyway because there's significant lag on the 1-2 shift. There is enough torque to spin the tires from second.

awesome. Thanks so much for the insight. Glad to know all is good

pressing the throttle more than 60% makes it kick down to 1st and gives you access to 1st from there on until you come to a stop

pressing the throttle more than 60% makes it kick down to 1st and gives you access to 1st from there on until you come to a stop
I have been unsuccessful getting first gear under any amount of throttle unless I leave in D5 or D4. But it won’t go to first in select shift mode

I have been unsuccessful getting first gear under any amount of throttle unless I leave in D5 or D4. But it won’t go to first in select shift mode
Hop in your car, put it in sst, then put the pedal to the metal, and you should get 1st.

Just tried to get to 1st in sst, and it worked, hit the gas in a turn while in 2nd, went to 1st.;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back