Seized a/c compressor

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this can be fixed without replacing the compressor itself (probably just order a new one) but my a/c compressor is starting to lockup if I dont drive for a few days. Upon startup I'll hear a quick jump of the belt. When the a/c is turned on clutch engaged I hear a violent jump of the belt almost like an impact gun. Dont think I want to pay OEM price this time around. The a/c works perfectly fine but dont want to wait until I can't drive at all.. besides the compressor I believe the drier is also usually replaced together? Going to order off rock auto hope it comes with the seals.

Maybe it would make sense to check pressures and see if it is higher than normal. A slight overcharge could cause higher startup power draw from the belt.

Yes the seals so come when compressor along with the drier. I just had same issue with mine.

If the compressor is really seizing or seized, then you also have to replace the condenser and flush out the lines, expansion valve, and evaporator.

Replaced mine years ago with the filter canister. Drew down the vacuum in the system then loaded with a can of 134a. Been running fine for years now. Be sure and clean out any debris caught in front of the radiator.

Members online

No members online now.
Back