secondary timing chain tensioner

NICKLS2002

LVC Member
Reaction score
2002 ls v8 31,700 miles. so i take off right hand valve cover to replace gaskets and secondary tensioner and the tensioner is all metal with orange plastic slides. the new tensioners look the same just with yellow slides. there is a sticker on the motor that shows built 7 30 01. is it possible it has the upgraded tensioners allready. the tensioners in the car show no ware. i used mobil 1 from day one.

Im sure joe or someone else has more facts on the build date, but I do know you are right there in the area where the change was made. Lots of pics around of the second version which mine would be in all plastic. I have 2001 built March 2001 (car not engine which would be earlier) and I am curious to see if the first owner change (I doubt it, no receipt or record). Congrats on having it safe from the get go.

Just did a quick look see again on the Jag forums, and they said up until August 2001. Never saw a date on a Lincoln build.

thanks guys for quick reply. not going to change them. they look good to me. tomorrow ill put back the cover and start on the left side vc. bought the jag thermo tower getting ready to buy the rest of the cooling stuff just to have it ready. now if anyone wants to buy new secondary tensioners let me know lol

As far as I know, it was a late 02 MY change. Why do you doubt the tensioners were replaced? Did the PO give you a large stack of receipts or no receipts at all? Failing tensioners are pretty loud and concerning, so it's not unreasonable for even a lazy owner to get it fixed

bought the car new i was doing the valve cover gaskets and after reading about the secondary tensioners going bad on gen 1 i figured if change them out at the same time. when i took off the covers and looked at the tensioners they were same as the ones i just bought. all medal with plastic slides. so the car came with the newer designed tensioners. lucky

My mistake, I thought you (Nick) bought a 2001 used, but it was actually Grizzly. That's interesting then. Any chance it was thrown in with other warranty work? Maybe the time frame is late Gen 1 (2002s), not late 2002s.

Hey FDR never had work done by lincoln. since i bought this car new in dec 2001 i've changed all window regulators 1 fuel pump. and right side valve cover seal. going to do left side together with all the plastic radiator parts and degas bottle. just waiting for the water outlet part to come in. the tensioners in my car are the newer metal ones so i guess im lucky on that.

Nick, did you by chance pick up the cam locking tool, secondary tentioners, chains and VCG's and wanting to sell the whole package?

No i bought the VCG at lincoln a few years ago i bought the secondary tensioners last week. since i was going to only change the secondary with a zip tie i didnt need anything else. if you need the tensioners let me know.

good luck on that job. got my fingers crossed that it goes nice and easy with little or no cursing

Thanks, couple sandwiches and a few naps spread out over a couple of Mondays should take care of it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back