secondary chain tensioner woes

smegun

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
just got done doing a cam tensioner job..I put the oil back in and prestone and fired her up..I used about a gal of oil plus about a half a quart of new magnetic castrol..started to bleed the gas(prestone)bottle also some smoke from what I think was brake fluid and drips (addressing too many issues to be expected) was waiting on the bubbles of prestone but decided to shut down and check oil again I had the other half gal of oil from the drain I added it started her up sounding just that much better and smoke beginning to dicapate was going to take a test spin but my brakes were non existant as to shut down 2nd time but the problem now is there are two patches of oil both right and left side almost symmetrical just behind inner front tires???? started to examine my valve cover gasket job but I cant believe that would mean seriouse black smoke from exaust is there a purge valve or did I blow out a oil pressure gadget or hose ?

to note doing a tensioner job may have been premature and im thinking it was unnecessary In my case ...my chain was loose when initially reviewing but it was a poor observation the chain gets loose and tite with moving the cams so beware your expecting a lot of tension with new tensioners there not like my explorer or a twink like a youtube video and you need to relax the lobes or your cams to a position that will let you take out the cam or it will pop up on you giving you a wedge

on further inspection my cam cover gaskets although new are leaking like a siv ...replaced all the rubber washers and main seals cleaned heads and covers first used Permatex on timing chain area flats ...there leaking at the bottom in a few places im #issed on top of that I broke my dipstick and advanced track connector I got no brake pressure also
im questioning tight im mean im firm down but do I need a more positive torque than just squashed I kept the old ones there not too bad im blaming an aftermarket group for crummy gasket heh tighter ??

Like I said, you need the service manual. You shouldn't guess at the torque. Too much or too little will cause leaks. You want just right.

second try im doing the passenger side now inspected the gasket seems like the new one has a thin raised bead the old one has been smoothed out thicker feel im using the old one with a little Permatex and a lighter touch trying not to get over 10lb I gave up on the two hf style torq wrenches I tried to spot a few with a needle old school version of torq wrench then by feel for the rest ...wish me luck ill get to the drivers side again if the passenger holds ...I get what I paid for evidently

yes second time around seems to be working my bad the drivers side bolt by brake booster was not tight enough I must of daisyed myself that part of the job enough to forget I had to tighten it last up shorty socket needed two turns cant explain passenger side though should of at least bought felpro ….no leaks second time around concerning cam cover and oil as of yet but now things are worse I have a small steam bath at the back of the engine nearer the brake booster its worse than the last time I thought it was prestone spilled on exhaust nope its my destiny ...id run the bolts but im looking at the cams again is real inspiring

when the brain has been asleep for a long time the first run is excitingly fast powerful and smooth the reason I bought the car but I scared myself this time _hitless at the first stop when I wouldn't come back from 3-4grand I managed to do the brakes last minute before taking a test drive so at least I had it jack standed and got it into neutral ..the second throttle cable came out of its notch and did something terrible by the time I got back around the block I was in a sauna

Like I said, you need the service manual. You shouldn't guess at the torque. Too much or too little will cause leaks. You want just right.

the bolt keeps moving on the old school 3/8 needle torque wrench at 10 lb .. the 3/8 HF torgue wrench dosent do anything you want it to do at that range after you used it to do a lug you can barely lock it in to 10lb foot of torque what do you use I havnt seen a 1/4 torque wrench its French cuisine like did you have the motor out anyway ...next time im going to just test a neighborhood bolt two finger socket wrenching

Why I see no 'Happy Endings' in this story?

Members online

Back