Secondary air injection pump (smog pump)

AndyT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. So, since I've owned the car, the CEL has been on due to the pump not functioning. Anyway, the pump should be here tomorrow, and I'm just going to replace it in the driveway. I looked up replacement procedure in my Ford service manuals, and it says to remove the front valance panel, which looks like the panel on the bottom of the front bumper cover, like a splash shield almost. It shows this as the only step where you have to remove anything to get to the pump. The next step is hose removal, unplugging, unbolting, etc. The thing is, I've heard that I would have to remove the front bumper cover from the car to replace this pump. So does anyone have any experience replacing this part, and did you have to remove the entire bumper cover?

I've got the same problem on my '96. I've looked at it and it looks like the front bumper cover has to come off. I haven't really gotten under the car to get a good look yet, but if you lift the d/s headlight access cover you can see the smog pump under the headlight. I tried to get to it from the d/s inner fender well, but the ABS controller is in the way. I've got a pump ready to go in, but I haven't worked up the nerve to tackle it yet. I'm thinking about working on it this weekend. If I get it done, I'll let you know.

Well, it should be here tomorrow. I know that seeing it sitting in the box is going to bother the hell out of me, so I may tear into it tomorrow, but I need the car as were going back to MA this weekend to visit friends, so maybe it would be best if I waited, just in case. In which case, if I wait, your reply will be very useful. Fortunately, it doesn't look too too bad to remove the bumper cover on a second gen.

I'll try to get to it this weekend. I just don't have time during the week. I've also got to get the d/s front air spring fixed on that car too. The solenoid is leaking. Once I get that done, I'll try to tackle the smog pump. Hopefully, I won't have to take the bumper off. I've heard it's a PITA on GEN1's. When your CEL came on, did you get the "Auxialliary air injection: reverse flow detected" code?

I think for a gen2 just remove the lower airdam panel that spans the underside of the bumper. Just some screws and a couple bolts iirc. Might have to take off the drivers side inner fender liner too. But like above just some screws and maybe a plastic fastner or 2. It's easy stuff.

Assuming you have a g2...

Yea, I've heard stories about that Gen 1 bumper too, haha.

The code I got was a P0411 - Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Upstream Flow. That sounds to me like its saying the same thing as what you pulled from your car.

About removing the bumper : when I first got the car, I ordered a complete set of Ford service manuals for the car. I looked at that, under Air Pump Removal, and the only thing it shows is removing the large splash shield under the front bumper (its attached to the bottom lip of each wheel house) and now that I think about it, that may make sense. Just take the 3 bolts out of the mounting bracket and work it around the tube that runs under it. I may pull that shield down tomorrow and take a picture of it, and I'll post it. Then that way we will both know for sure.

I have done one its easy and you do NOT have to remove the bumper

That defiantly just made me smile! Now I get to work on my car tomorrow, which I always enjoy doing, and that will be the last thing I have to do for it to be (almost) perfect! YAY! Just tires after that....

Now I can register it, and stop driving it on attached plates :shifty: well, after I get a damn job and have some $

So the pump just showed up, so out to the driveway I go! Hopefully I'll return with some good news.

Yeah, I just replaced it and it was a lot easier then I first thought. Took down that splash shield, and it was right there. Unbolted it from the bracket, unplugged it, disconnected the hose, and that was that.

Unfortunately, the CEL is still on as I sold my scan tool just recently, and none of the parts stores want to clear it for me. How many key cycles will it take for it to turn itself off?

Never mind, I took a ride up to the parts store and got a cheap little scan tool. Problem solved.

Last edited:
thanks for all this info, I will be doing mine soon, where is the relay for the pump located, does it look like the ABS relay?

Members online

No members online now.
Back