Secondary Air Flow insufficient P0411

pragmatic

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 V6 MT 190,000 miles.

I had this code 3 or 4 years ago and it was corrosion on the relay connector (caused by a front end accident that damaged the splash shield on the driver's side). I cleaned up the contacts and was fine until August when the code returned. Hoping for a better repair I got a connector from a junked car and soldered it in over Christmas. The pump is running on cold starts (I can feel it running for the first 10 - 30 seconds). I also jumpered it with the engine off and it seems to run fine. But the code still returns.

Any ideas?

I'm going to remove the pump and check the filter and how freely the motor spins (maybe a little oil will help). My temporary inspection after a failure (10 days to fix) runs our on Friday so I'm under the gun to get it fixed.

Well got it out before the snow got too deep. Filter is clean and the motor seems to freely move (permanent magnet). Hoses look ok so I'm at a loss. Hate to spend $110 for a part that seems to work but give me a code.

Maybe it's the part that measures the airflow?
Is there a check valve that might be stuck?

Okay, This is what I have for year 2000 Ford engines in general. It looks like there is no air flow sensor (it uses the O2 sensor instead), but there is a check valve or valves. I'd check it/them.

AIR System Monitor
The secondary air system utilizes an electric air pump as well as one or two electrically controlled check valves to
deliver air into the exhaust manifold. The AIR pump flow check monitors the HO2S signal at idle to determine if
secondary air is being delivered into the exhaust system. The air/fuel ratio is commanded open-loop rich, the AIR
pump is turned on and the time required for the HO2S signal to go lean is monitored. If the HO2S signal does not
go lean within the allowable time limit, a low/no flow malfunction is indicated. (P0411)
The electric air pump draws high current and must be energized through a separate relay. Both the primary and
secondary circuits are checked for opens and shorts. First, the output driver within the PCM (primary circuit) is
checked for circuit continuity (P0412). This circuit energizes the relay and the control valve(s). Next, a feedback
circuit from the secondary side of the relay to the PCM is used to check secondary circuit continuity (P1413,
P1414).
AIR Monitor Operation:
DTCs P0411 functional check, P0412, P1413, P1414 circuit checks
Monitor execution Functional - once per driving cycle, circuit checks - continuous
Monitor Sequence Oxygen sensor monitor complete and OK
Sensors OK ECT
Monitoring Duration 20 seconds at idle
Typical AIR functional check entry conditions:
Entry condition Minimum Maximum
Time since engine start-up 600 seconds
Engine Coolant Temp 50 oF
Short Term Fuel Trim 12.5%
Fuel Tank Pressure 4.5 in H2O
Closed Throttle at idle rpm at idle rpm
Purge Fuel Flow 0 lb/min 0.2 lb/min
Note: No P0411 DTC is stored if IAT < 20 oF at the start of the functional test although the test runs.
(Precludes against identifying a temporary, frozen check valve.)
Typical AIR functional check malfunction thresholds:
Minimum time allowed for HO2S sensor to indicate lean: < 4 seconds
J1979 Mode $06 Data
Test ID Comp ID Description Units
$30 $11 HO2S11 voltage for upstream flow test and rich limit volts
$30 $21 HO2S21 voltage for upstream flow test and rich limit volts
$31 $00 HO2S lean time for upstream flow test and time limit seconds
Conversion for Test ID $30: multiply by 0.00098 to get volts
Conversion for Test ID $31: multiply by 0.125 to get seconds

Okay, it looks like there is just one valve on the 3.0 LS, and it has both an electrical connection and a vacuum connection. Failure of either could cause your problem, or the valve could be stuck. The service manual shows it down low, in front of the engine.

It seems to have been the solenoid valve. I changed that (old one had a small crack in its body) and so far so good. I've driven around 45 miles and my code reader says its ready for testing and the secondary air system is ready.

Also even though I had searched it seems I missed the thread with the answer.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?87775-New-code-P0411

Dorman 600-400 is the part number.

Just threw a P1413 Code. Pump is running and everything else looks good. Any suggestions.

Well, it is Dorman, so it is probably time for the valve to fail. Otherwise, check for vacuum and electrical to the valve.

Members online

No members online now.
Back