Second time the same right/passenger side brake caliper has failed ....all ideas are appreciated????

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I’m replacing the passenger side brake caliper for the second time in the last 6 months on my 2001 Lincoln LS V8 3.9 Gen 1 any ideas if the brake line is corrupted internally? Or if it’s due to not replacing rotors the first time this happened and the rotors are different variations and/ or warped for lack of better terms/descriptions?

Exactly how has it failed?
New pins? rebuilt guide bracket? New boots? Greased? Piston correctly screwed in and indexed to the pad?

Exactly how has it failed?
New pins? rebuilt guide bracket? New boots? Greased? Piston correctly screwed in and indexed to the pad?
The left side piston on my first caliper I bought brand new was seized and didn’t push out when applying the brake....I brought it back and O’Rielly’s replaced it under warranty with another new one but now the right side piston on this new caliper is stuck in the out position and leaking brake fluid and the left is seized up again unable to move out ...I guess I could be purchasing a brand that is rebuilt but sold as new ...the brand is Brake Best sold at O’Riellys It’s under warranty but I’m at the point of frustration that if the new replacement caliper that comes Tuesday fails again, I’ll bite the bullet and buy the more expensive MotorCraft brand :-( wondering if it’s the actual caliper or if something else could be the culprit ...such as brake line and if so how can I test the brake line to know if it needs to be replaced ...I hear that if the brake line is at fault it’s only allowing brake fluid to be pumped out and doesn’t return to the master cylinder which could be causing the caliper to fail...any help is much appreciated

Last edited:
Many chinese-sourced replacements are a 'good luck' sort of situation. They'll keep giving you another one since they don't do much but the most basic before putting it in the box to go back to the store. I've gone through four alternators from AZ. They've lasted from a couple of months to several years before failing. They simply give me another one and I've gotten pretty good at replacement. (I did the first one in the dirt of the pits at the ECTA races. Had to use a flashlight to see since it was after dark.)

KS

Many chinese-sourced replacements are a 'good luck' sort of situation. They'll keep giving you another one since they don't do much but the most basic before putting it in the box to go back to the store. I've gone through four alternators from AZ. They've lasted from a couple of months to several years before failing. They simply give me another one and I've gotten pretty good at replacement. (I did the first one in the dirt of the pits at the ECTA races. Had to use a flashlight to see since it was after dark.)

KS
Yeah I think you’re right it’s a cheap caliper, I’m going to try one more time with new rotors and ceramic pads and if it fails again I’m going with a Motorcraft Caliper, new brake hose, master cylinder & calling it a day

I haven't had a piston fail yet, but I've had a few frozen pins.

for cheap insurance, every time you do a brake job, always replace the pins and boots, at a bare minimum, replace the boots

Members online

No members online now.
Back