Second hand LS issues

Geeq013

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi gang ,
I recently acquired a 2004 Lincoln LS 3.9L with 12xxxx miles it . It has a CEL starts idles poorly and then dies unless I hold the gas to the floor. If I try to move the car it hesitates and then lurches aggressively. I've replaced the plugs, coils, throttle body , and EGR valve.
All to no avail. Any thoughts ??

Also I accidently smashed a sensor or solenoid or something with a red tube coming off of it when I replaced the EGR valve . The same sorta red tubes that pluge into the EGR can anyone tell me what that is so I can replace that as well .

Thank you kindly,
Your friendly neiborhood hooligan

Maybe it's time to stop throwing parts at it and diagnose it instead?
Start with what are the exact (five character) DTCs that it is giving?

That sensor or something is probably the fuel pressure sensor. It won't really run without it. Also, the vacuum tube assembly that you mentioned is probably cracked.

A buddy of mine from work ran the codes the day it stoped driving with his OBI 2 blue tooth tool/ cell phone . I didn't think to write them down there were several but . It was along the lines of misfire and lean fule . I'm waiting for my scanner to arive so I can run them again

This is what I smashed when removing the EGR
20181023_220332.jpg
20181023_220321.jpg

Yep, fuel pressure sensor. Apparently, some aftermarket are okay and others are not.
I generally recommend removing that sensor before trying to remove or install the EGR valve exhaust connection. If the PCM does not know what the fuel pressure is, it can't regulate it or determine how long the keep the fuel injectors open. This can cause considerable operational problems.
Why did you replace the EGR assembly? Did you use OEM (many known problems with aftermarket on this part).

Yes post your codes. There is no other way to fix a modern car.
Can't just replace parts.

Cleaning the MAF sensor works wonders. Be sure and use MAF sensor cleaner, not something else.

Ok so the codes I was able to pull go as followed P0171 p0174 p0113 p0303

You probably need to start with the IAT, which is an internal part of the MAF. Cleaning isn't going to help though.

Ok perhaps I didn't understand completely, however I changed my MAF and I still unable to get it to idle for a span longer then 2 minutes or so the code reader is now showing p0113
You probably need to start with the IAT, which is an internal part of the MAF. Cleaning isn't going to help though.

There is a troubleshooting process that starts with verifying the wiring to the MAF. Also note that aftermarket MAFs are often bad (seems to apply to all cars).

One other comment?
Always clear the codes when done reading them.
You want to make sure you get the same codes to repeat so you are chasing real problems and NOT things that happened in the past!

Members online

Back