seating the torque converter

dnehthend

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to putting my car back together, this includes a shiny new torque converter from BOC. I definitely don't want to screw this up and have spend a while reading about it.

I pushed the torque converter down the shaft and twisted until there was a click, as I rotated and pushed more there was a much more noticeable click (more of a thud) and the whole thing took a big jump inward.

I'm reading that there should be a third click but it's just not happening.

Did I not notice it? With the trans pushed up against the engine there is a large enough gap between the tc and the flexplate that I'm considering using the (included) washers as shims in between.

It feels and looks right but I'm kind of skeptical about bolting everything back together and firing it up.

The "endplay" between converter and flexplate should be around .125. If you are getting endplay converter is in correct.

If you wiggle up and down like checking for play in a wheel bearing, if no play you are seated properly if there is play then you have not passed the pump on the converter. The pump is the hardest to seat. But it does sound like you got it. If you have second thoughts pull it off and take an other stab at it.

Spin the TC once you believe you have it seated in the trans, does fluid come out of the outlet to radiator fitting? If so, pump is engaged

Thanks for the help everybody. The common mistakes that are easy to do make me nervous and paranoid, every single time. I pulled it back down and redid it with the same results. There is exactly an 1/8th of an inch between the two, confirmed with a drill bit. Time to bolt everything back up and have a car again.

Thanks for the help everybody. The common mistakes that are easy to do make me nervous and paranoid, every single time. I pulled it back down and redid it with the same results. There is exactly an 1/8th of an inch between the two, confirmed with a drill bit. Time to bolt everything back up and have a car again.

I could have saved you taking it down. If you have .125 endplay all is GOOD. When converter is NOT seated you have ZERO endplay.

Members online

Back