Seat covers

foxpaws

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I haven't a clue where to put this subject... best guess.

So, I bit the bullet - Amante's seat covers are rather sad. He was an Arizona car originally - and in a convertible that Arizona sun beating down on the seats took its toll.

I bought a new set of leather seat covers.

How hard are these things to install? I am pretty mechanical, and have recovered couches as well. Are there any tips for the leather impaired I should know about? I can remove the seats - that actually isn't too hard, just find a friend, and ply with beer (because they are a bit heavy for just me to lift out).

Beyond that... :confused:

I haven't tried auto seats, but I've been warned that they are pretty labor intense and require a fair bit of concentration and attention to detail.

So, I think they are pretty challenging to install.
I guess the point is to make sure the leather is malleable, and you pay real close attention when you remove the old covers, noting every little clip you remove.

Very general comment is to leave the covers in the sun for a while before work to make them as flexible as possible. It'll take some stretching to get them to fit. Good luck!
KS

I had a buddy who had never done it before cover seats with leather and hog pins, it didn't seem that difficult, they were cut to size and it came out great

WE SHOULD MAKE LVC SEAT COVERS!!! tha'td be f*cking bomb!!!! where's Joey when you need him?

I've taken my conti seats apart twice. Pretty straight forward and easy to do. Mine were soft and easy to work with, I always keep alot of leather lotion on them.

Hog nose rings are the only issue. Hard to work with. Make sure you get a proper set of pliers to remove and install them.

Couple of little parts to remove, plastics, couple seat frame bolts, ext. Take you time and work on a peice of carpet. You should have both done in half a day. Watch out for grease on the seat rails, it gets everywhere if your not careful.

If you have the extra money, I'd replace the drivers side heating element while you have the seat apart.

Thanks everyone. So, I know what I will be doing the 4th of July weekend.

I think I will get out the camera - I have found this is a great way to 'remember' where everything goes - take digital pictures as you go. And label, label, label.

I dropped an engine in one of my cars (needed to replace the clutch - so the whole engine in my porsche needed to be dropped) before the days of digital cameras, so I labeled everything with these little 'A,B,C' labels. Worked great even later when I had to go back in and do stuff. That is, until I got to the point I could afford to go to a 'real' German mechanic. He couldn't imagine why my entire engine was labeled with little letters. So, imagine in a heavy German accent, "Vhat have you done vith your car?" :eek:

The idea of putting the covers in the sun and making the leather soft is a good one - I'll remember that.

Again, thanks!

So, a very 'patience' filled job -

Nary a hog ring to be found - gotta love those Italians. The warm day was good - and the leather in the sun worked great, although the replacement leather is like butter...

The really difficult part was unplugging the electronics under the seat for all the motors. Hard to get the 'locks' on the plugs pushed in with so little room.

The rest of it was just time... and patience. The headrests are coming - Mine were in good shape - however, the new leather is of a slightly different surface texture - less 'hard'... so the color matched great, but the texture was a bit off.

Plus, you can really clean under the seats - find small blue pills (yes I did) and a pretty nice diamond earring (I wonder if they were related ;) ). Lots of change, the remains of a coffee lake and popcorn.

Before...
seatbad2.jpg

seatbad1.jpg

After...

goodseat1.jpg

I am hoping the earring might pay for this... :)

Great find on the earring. Please don't forget the four hour rule in regard to the blue pill!!

KS

Those blue pills just looked scary...

And that whole '4 hours thing' how disappointing... only 4 :(

A friend of mine wrote a small 'what if...' the story of the cadillac, the blue pills, coffee, popcorn and a diamond earring

Let's turn back the clock a few years...........

They parked in the back row of the drive-in theatre on a warm summer night (yes, they still have those in Colorado).

His plan was first the earrings to soften her up and then the little blue pill to firm up the deal ;).

Then he made his move. He leaned over, hoping the mood was right. He hadn't noticed that she had placed her large cup of hot coffee on the console. When he bumped the coffee cup in the dark, it spilled in her lap and ran up her short skirt, causing her to scream, jump up, throwing her popcorn in the air. She got out of the car screaming, "what kind of girl do you think I am". She stormed off and took a taxi home.

Now he had to explain to his wife why there was popcorn and coffee spilled in his immaculate car when he wouldn't even allow "her" to drink bottled water in it. His only way out of this mess was to trade it in on something new (his Allante, not the wife - because she had all the money).

A friend of mine wrote a small 'what if...' the story of the cadillac, the blue pills, coffee, popcorn and a diamond earring

Let's turn back the clock a few years...........

They parked in the back row of the drive-in theatre on a warm summer night (yes, they still have those in Colorado).

His plan was first the earrings to soften her up and then the little blue pill to firm up the deal ;).

Then he made his move. He leaned over, hoping the mood was right. He hadn't noticed that she had placed her large cup of hot coffee on the console. When he bumped the coffee cup in the dark, it spilled in her lap and ran up her short skirt, causing her to scream, jump up, throwing her popcorn in the air. She got out of the car screaming, "what kind of girl do you think I am". She stormed off and took a taxi home.

Now he had to explain to his wife why there was popcorn and coffee spilled in his immaculate car when he wouldn't even allow "her" to drink bottled water in it. His only way out of this mess was to trade it in on something new (his Allante, not the wife - because she had all the money).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Members online

No members online now.
Back