sealing air lines?

remark

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
whats up guys. i have recently replaced most of my air suspension(compressor, struts,relay etc) but the front was struggling to keep up and i would get a check air ride message on start up and even occasionally while driving. today as i was checking everything out i noticed that there was air comingfrom where the air lines go into the dryer. anyone have tips on sealing these up? they seem to be in there snug and secure.

New orings and make sure the lines are cut straight and nothing is on them (burrs etc)... I use a tiny bit of dielectric or lithium grease on the orings when reassembling to make them slide a bit nicer...

well i have tried trimming lines and changing o rings and no luck. this thing is just dumping out air! i am at wits end here.

You have to really push hard on the air line to seat in against the o ring and also get the brass collar to bite in on the tubing (brass collar pulls out to grip).

believe me guys, the lines were pushed all the way in. the dryer that was leaking so badly was an american air dryer. i switched back to the old one,using the same brass collars and the leak stopped,but the car refuses to even try to pump up. now the car is slammed on all fours and i really can't do anything with it. im running out of things to check here

Did you return the AAS unit for Eddie to look over. I would drive the car up on some minnie ramps and then put a jack under the front cross member and jack the front up so that it is several inches higher than slammed (off the height adjusters). Then I would get in the car and close the door (trunk closed also) and start the car up. It will probably take 2-3 complete cycles before the bags fill out and your check air ride light stays out.

no i havent returned the unit to ed. i have left him numerous voicemails in the past and he never seems to get back. ill probably just end up using the defective dyer for the beads inside and dry them out myself sometime and just use them in my oem dryer.

now what worries me is as the car is sitting slammed here, the front bags are all sunkin in and wrinkled up. even as the compressor runs, they don't seem to budge or even gain a little bit of air. i guess the full weight of the car is just too much to try to lift?

Did you try soapy water to see if they are leaking? Did you replace the "O" rings on the stem of the solenoids that plug into the air bags? Have you twisted the solenoids all the way in to the stops (two steps).

Again, it takes up to 3-4 complete cycles to refill the air system up, so keep on turning the switch on and off after the "check air ride" appears.

yeah i did the soap trick, no leaks. i had a shop do the struts so im thinking the 0 rings that were used are existing ones. i do not hear any hissing coming from the bags or solenoids, it was all coming from the old dryer but it stopped when i replaced it.

Well I would look there. One thing to look for is the new replacement bag receptacle for the solenoid is slightly shorter, so that the old solenoids have to be trimmed on their length and the old "Marsh mellow" thrown away and the plastic cage cut back with an exacto knife or such. If this isn't done then the solenoid will not properly seat into the new bag. Also the old "O" rings on the solenoid need to be replaced or they will leak. Because a lot of mechanics consider "Air Ride" a black art they just don't know that these items need to be done on our cars.

yeah ill definitely check out the solenoids and o rings when im in there. thanks for the help man

You almost have to work on the air ride system in phases, unless every component is shot. I did my rear bags shortly after buying the car, 3 years ago. Air compressor about a year later, replaced the fronts last spring. Everything has worked fine until the fronts were replaced, that was fixed buy swapping out the solenoids.

That has helped me troubleshoot if I have any issues.

Well I would look there. One thing to look for is the new replacement bag receptacle for the solenoid is slightly shorter, so that the old solenoids have to be trimmed on their length and the old "Marsh mellow" thrown away and the plastic cage cut back with an exacto knife or such. If this isn't done then the solenoid will not properly seat into the new bag. Also the old "O" rings on the solenoid need to be replaced or they will leak. Because a lot of mechanics consider "Air Ride" a black art they just don't know that these items need to be done on our cars.

ok so i didnt get a chance to check the solenoids today but i tried putting the car on ramps and jacking it up and that didnt really change anything.

its strange, when i first turn the car on the pump will turn on and run for 90 seconds, then giving me a check air light. ill turn the switch off then on again and the compressor will run for maybe 30 seconds, then shut off but with no check air light? things just arent adding up here, none of the bags are seeing any air it seems like. ill have to take everything apart tomorrow

ok i am going nuts here. i have tried switching out everything, including the air pump and still no dice.

the pump runs for 90 seconds, check airride, i reset the switch, the pump runs for 30 seconds then shuts off with no check air light. even after turning the car off then on again the pump won't turn on but i do not get a check air light. what gives? my problems do not match any typical problems.

OK, your check light went out after your second key on so this indicates that the system has reached ride height(assuming that your doors were closed). Have you or your mechanic adjusted the ride height sensor ball on your Upper control arms?

Measuring from the bottom edge of the wheel to the wheel lip, thru the center of the wheel, it should measure:

Front = 24.5"
Rear = 25.25"

Tolerance = =/- .25"

well i did have it sensor lowered but it is back to stock height for the winter time. i finally was able to get it to hold air, i think i must be leaking from the solenoid o rings. it seems like the lines like to leak when its cold out, due to the lines shrinking. when its warmer the system seems to act more normal. im going to try changing out the lines and the 0 rings next time i get a chance.

no i haven't returned the unit to ed. i have left him numerous voicemails in the past and he never seems to get back. ill probably just end up using the defective dyer for the beads inside and dry them out myself sometime and just use them in my oem dryer.

now what worries me is as the car is sitting slammed here, the front bags are all sunkin in and wrinkled up. even as the compressor runs, they don't seem to budge or even gain a little bit of air. i guess the full weight of the car is just too much to try to lift?

There a good chance Eddie is visiting his son down in Florida right now seeing that it's the holidays. I've never known Eddie to not get back to a customer unless the customer didn't purchase from him and is trying to get help from Eddie after purchasing elsewhere.

also:

That air line goes in about a half inch into the dryer. I had this happen once to me and found that even though that air line seemed to stop I didn't get it in far enough. Put a little Vaseline on the tip.

There a good chance Eddie is visiting his son down in Florida right now seeing that it's the holidays. I've never known Eddie to not get back to a customer unless the customer didn't purchase from him and is trying to get help from Eddie after purchasing elsewhere.

also:

That air line goes in about a half inch into the dryer. I had this happen once to me and found that even though that air line seemed to stop I didn't get it in far enough. Put a little Vaseline on the tip.

i actually ended up getting ahold of him. super nice guy on the phone. i was having some other issues about 3 months ago and have left him a few VMs but didnt hear back from him then.

my lines seem to be pretty short as is so ill probably replace them anyway. ill definitely try the vaseline tip. thanks

Put a little Vaseline on the tip.
This is a family message board you animal!!

With that said, Eddie is a highly respected vendor and it's a tiny shop.
It's hard to get any customer service between Christmas and New Years.

You've said that the dryer says American Air, but that doesn't mean you bought it from him, nor does it even mean that he was the last guy to rebuild it. I don't think Eddie has been selling dryers like that for several years now. When my dryer froze and popped off, Eddie told me he didn't have any for sale.

Many of the parts on these compressors have been marked, run their course, then were rebuilt by different vendors as well while still retaining some of the old markings.

all i know is this is the dryer that came on the compressor that i got from american air. this was not over the holiday weekend when i could not get a hold of him, although i did manage to get a hold of him over the holiday.

apparently i just cant get these damn lines to seal up right. the car will pump up but it will lose air AS the compressor kicks on then try to fight its way back up

Members online

No members online now.
Back