SCT XCal3 Might Not Work With Your LS

nearlyhalfamile

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I just wanted to put something out there for a lot of you that might be considering going with an X3 tuner from SCT. I looked at everything on their site about it and by all accounts, they show that the X3 would work with my 2001 LS V8... but it doesn't. The X3 has preloaded tunes that are suppose to work for 2000-2006 LS or can be loaded with custom tunes. However upon getting one and connecting it to the car, I get an error message stating that my vehicle isn't supported and to contact SCT. I contacted SCT and gave them my info and confirmed that I was using the latest firmware for it and the latest tune file and was given the response... "sorry for your inconvenience... but we DON'T support your car... and that I should take it in for "service" and have my car reflashed with a different statedgy from the dealership... and then the X3 MIGHT work with my car." I called the local dealer-stealership and asked how much it would be to reflash and they said it would be $85 and that they would need the car there atleast for 2 hours.

So what burns me about this is that NOTHING on the SCT site said this could happen, if anything it was the opposite and SCT would be ontop of it if the tuner didn't work and they would provide me with an updated tune version, however this isn't the case. The tuner is suppose to work out of the box for my car... it doesn't and to MAYBE make it work I have to sink more money and time into it. I also have to say that I have been less then happy with the service I have gotten from SCT. I called them during business hours, but kept getting a message that their business hours were closed even though by the times they gave in the message they should have been open. So right now I'm waiting to hear back from them but I doubt that is going anywhere from my current responses and I'm sitting here with a brand new X3 that works says it works on my car, but doesn't actually work on my car.

So if you are planning on getting an X3, don't be that sure it will work for you just by the info you get from SCT.

Another good reason to use Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com or PM ILLS on this form. Two trusted SCT tuners.

The Xcal3 works on the LS just not with SCT's canned tunes. Like was mentioned, get a hold of Torrie or ILLS and it'll work fine. I personally know someone with the X3 and it works on his 02 with no problems.

Sorry to hear about your luck, but it sounds typical of SCT to be honest.

preloaded tunes that are suppose to work for 2000-2006 LS

Sorry to hear about your luck, (or lack of) with this. This needs to be pointed out though. The 00 - 02 model LS V8s had different engines than the 03 - 06. You should never expect tunes for the first gen V8 to work on the second gen V8, and vise versa.

The tune on SCT Xcal is tied to Your VIN and can't be loaded on another auto.

If you purchase the X3 or Livewire from a Dealer that has the LS software and can pre program it with custom files there isn't an issue.

Take care,
Mr. Torrie R. McPhail

Nothing. Its the skill of the tuner building the calibrations for the device that make it worthwhile

So I guess your sole question here is what are the differences between the old Xcal2 and the X3 power flash correct ?

Take care,
Mr. Torrie R. McPhail

i have a 2002 LS v8. Ive read to talk to torrie at fastparts. When i place an order for the x3 from them do i need to tell them it is for a 2002 LS so they can program files for it,or will it automatically work like it should?!

you work there?! and my mods list is nothing does that matter or just make it easier for you guys?

also if i tune it before i mod anything such as exhaust cold air, will i get same improvement as if i tuned after mods?!

im unaware im a new LS owner about 2 months and I havent been on here in a while. If so im humbled than to be speaking to him :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back