SCT XCal

CTX-SLPR

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

Can an SCT reprogram just the tire size without having to get a specific tune for that tire size?

Reason being is I just went from the 225/55R16's to 235/50R17's but have a set of 225/45R17 snow tires that I might throw on this winter and I don't want to pay the dealer $120 a pop to change the tires in the ECM.

Thanks,

According to an online calculator, 225/55/R16 to 235/50/R17 is 2% slow. 235/50/R17 to 225/45/R17 (snow) would be 5% fast. Not a big deal.

Yes it can be done but I have not done i myself since I purchased my XCAL tune from Torrie at Fast Parts Network and he did it for me when I chaged wheels/tires. You will need the Revolutions Per Mile (RPM) for your specific tire which you can get from the Specs section at Tire Rack.com. I assume its just a specific data input as you progress thru the tune steps.

Yes it can be done but I have not done i myself since I purchased my XCAL tune from Torrie at Fast Parts Network and he did it for me when I chaged wheels/tires. You will need the Revolutions Per Mile (RPM) for your specific tire which you can get from the Specs section at Tire Rack.com. I assume its just a specific data input as you progress thru the tune steps.
Did this mean that 2 sets of tires needed 2 different otherwise identical tunes? I've been thinking Torrie Tune to get rid of the TBW things I dislike plus an annoying lock-lug-downshift-lock-lug cycle I hit going up the Mountain if I stop on the way up to check on my guys at another facility.

However, paying for the tuner and the tune itself without the ability to swap between tire sets significantly lowers my interest and justification to pay for it.

Did this mean that 2 sets of tires needed 2 different otherwise identical tunes? I've been thinking Torrie Tune to get rid of the TBW things I dislike plus an annoying lock-lug-downshift-lock-lug cycle I hit going up the Mountain if I stop on the way up to check on my guys at another facility.

However, paying for the tuner and the tune itself without the ability to swap between tire sets significantly lowers my interest and justification to pay for it.

All I did was send Torrie the RPM info and he updated the tune and e-mailed it back to me. I then downloaded the revised tune onto the SCT via my laptop and then reloaded it into the car. I don't think any changes to the rest of the tune where made. I am not an expert on this, but as I stated before, I think as you progress thru the data fields on the tuner "Tire RPM" is a data field you can input/adjust. I have 4 or so different tunes on my laptop from Torrie that he included in the cost as we worked thru some adjustments. After time I am sure he would charge additional money for modifications.

And yes I have the original tune on my laptop for my stock wheels and tires that I could download any time I wanted to put them back on and you could do the same...

5% is way too much.

It's like 4 mph off at 60mph according to the calculator I used and it would only be for a few months while using the snow tires.

It would make more sense to just use snow tires closer to a stock circumference though.

It's like 4 mph off at 60mph according to the calculator I used and it would only be for a few months while using the snow tires.

It would make more sense to just use snow tires closer to a stock circumference though.
I already have them off of my Saab since it came with them when I bought it. Since the wife doesn't drive the Saab in the snow, it would make more sense to finish wearing them out on the Lincoln since I DO have to get to work in the snow. Only want to use them because I have them, otherwise I'd get a proper diameter snow tire if I felt it was needed.

I just go by the speedometer on the nav. It's closer than my actual speedometer on the dash. At least, per those trailers the police put up to show you how fast you're going.

I just go by the speedometer on the nav. It's closer than my actual speedometer on the dash. At least, per those trailers the police put up to show you how fast you're going.
What's a Nav?

I have a base model V6. So far the only option I know of is the power pedals.

he has an aftermarket navigation equipped head unit.

And I only mentioned it because for $240/year for the dealer to change the settings in the PCM, an aftermarket nav could be a viable alternative.

Members online

No members online now.
Back