SCT - Which one

Trippen Out

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i have a chance to snag a SCT X3 model #3000/3015 for 250 bucks. i cant find anything on the sct sight about it working for the mark viii and in the pdf for the manuel it appears you can only use the preloaded tunes and modify those ones only. so which SCT hand held is the right one for our Mark Viii's and what options need to be availble before it will work with our car

The X-3's came out to replace the X-2's
They replaced the X-2's because the newer 05 and up cars used a much larger tune file and the X-2's couldn't hold the THREE tunes as advertised, they would only hold TWO of he larger files.

For out aged and decrepit platform there is no benefit to having an X-3.
But the X-2's are getting harder to find.

If you asked me, I wouldn't trade my X-2 for TWO X-3's...the new devices have proven to be buggy and troublesome....

That is the last thing a "new to tuning" person needs, is "device bugs and issues".

If it were me, I'd get an X-2 and let "others" work the bugs out of the new SCT devices, which include.. X-3, Livewire, Extreme Touch Screen.

The X-3's came out to replace the X-2's
They replaced the X-2's because the newer 05 and up cars used a much larger tune file and the X-2's couldn't hold the THREE tunes as advertised, they would only hold TWO of he larger files.

For out aged and decrepit platform there is no benefit to having an X-3.
But the X-2's are getting harder to find.

If you asked me, I wouldn't trade my X-2 for TWO X-3's...the new devices have proven to be buggy and troublesome....

That is the last thing a "new to tuning" person needs, is "device bugs and issues".

If it were me, I'd get an X-2 and let "others" work the bugs out of the new SCT devices, which include.. X-3, Livewire, Extreme Touch Screen.

Exactly.

I don't know many with the X-3 but I've heard of several people having issues with Livewire.

so what model x2 am i looking for ?

There are 2 versions:
Xcal 2 9400 which is the original X-2
Xcal 2 9415 SF {strategy flash device) that comes pre-loaded with "canned tune files".

IMHO you really want an 9400, but if you can get your hands on a 9415SF you can run a "tool" on it and convert it back to a 9400.

Usually people try to sell the 9415SF for more money when they aren't worth any more than a 9400...
So dont let anyone tell you "it's better than a 9400" it isn't.

What price range are you seeking?
I know a couple of folks that have some of them...

There are 2 versions:
Xcal 2 9400 which is the original X-2
Xcal 2 9415 SF {strategy flash device) that comes pre-loaded with "canned tune files".

IMHO you really want an 9400, but if you can get your hands on a 9415SF you can run a "tool" on it and convert it back to a 9400.

Usually people try to sell the 9415SF for more money when they aren't worth any more than a 9400...
So dont let anyone tell you "it's better than a 9400" it isn't.

What price range are you seeking?
I know a couple of folks that have some of them...

WOW---
Two straightforward and worthwhile posts. My congratulations!!!:)
KS

WOW---
Two straightforward and worthwhile posts. My congratulations!!!:)
KS

I "think" they might have been "back to back" too...Oh my.

yea, I'm a cranky olefuk but I aint completely worthless

I bought an X3 from Lonnie and have had no issues with it at all, couldnt be happier.

How much datalogging have you done with it?

reason I ask, is while I'm sure your happy with both the X-3 and Lonnies tune... I wonder how much of the X-3 you've actually tried to use..other than flashing the tune to your car.

just curious.

i want to pay as little as possible for one which is normal. im not sure what they are worth to be honest to ya. i did send a pm to the admin. im hoping to get a reply to work on the negoiations and see where it goes from there. in the mean time i wouldnt mind seeing what someone is willing to sell one for that is usable

I havent done any datalogging, not really sure why I need too. I just plugged it in and tuned it. So I guess I havent done a whole lot with it ;)

IF you do, and you find it doesnt work..
Dont beat up lonnie, it's not his fault.

this is an issue created by SCT that puts the dealers in a very very bad spot.
SCT stopped making the X-2's
they forced everyone to upgrade to the X-3's before they were properly tested.

now issues are coming out...

If you have an issue, CALL SCT.
dont let them tell you "it's a dealer issue" because it's not.

I feel bad for the SCT dealers who are getting "thrown under the bus" by SCT.

IF you do, and you find it doesnt work..
Dont beat up lonnie, it's not his fault.

this is an issue created by SCT that puts the dealers in a very very bad spot.
SCT stopped making the X-2's
they forced everyone to upgrade to the X-3's before they were properly tested.

now issues are coming out...

If you have an issue, CALL SCT.
dont let them tell you "it's a dealer issue" because it's not.

I feel bad for the SCT dealers who are getting "thrown under the bus" by SCT.

+1

IMHO SCT is the best solution out there for these cars but you are completely correct by saying they are throwing the dealers under the bus. Most of this has to do with SCT trying to curtail people who shouldn't be unlocking devices and selling other peoples tunes but that doesn't excuse how hard they are making it on there authorized dealers and their customers paying good money for devices/programing from them.

Members online

Back