Scrap it or fix it?

Uberck

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I rear ended someone on the highway.

The frame is still straight, alignment is off, front left tire burst.

I scraped the wall on the right side before hitting the guy.

The car still runs great, no leaks. Should I fix it, sell it, or scrap it?

IMG_0157.jpg
IMG_0161.jpg

honestly, at this point, you can probably buy a new LS for what its going to cost to fix that one...

every panel on the right side will need work and need to be painted, same with half of the left side, and likely the hood. at that point you might as well spray the entire car to make sure you get a good match and that's gonna get spendy fast

it may also be tough to find a new front bumper. the last couple of guys wanting one had a hell of a time.

Interesting, ok. I just had a huge debate with my girlfriend and she feels that fixing it would be best. I really loved that car, please help me make a decision guys. I'm without a car and don't know what my next move should be. I had someone offer me $800 as is, but would hate to see my baby go for so cheap as I spent $5900 on it.

... but would hate to see my baby go for so cheap as I spent $5900 on it.

If you opt to fix it, I suspect that you may be spending that much again. Personally, I'd rather put that money into one that has never been crashed.

Scrap it - way too much body damage. Agree with Loud on a complete re-paint. That alone, done in a quality way using quality materials will be thousands. The section where the rear roofline hits the trunk will be esp. challenging from a bodywork perspective = MORE $$

do you still own money on it?

you need to find out how much you can replace it for, then find out how much its going to cost to fix it. then with accounting for the answer to the above question, make a decision from there.

unless you're doing all of the body and painting work, its gonna cost a lot to get it fixed up right .

Sorry for your loss and misfortune Uber, always sad to see a nice LS smashed up like that. Glad you didn't get harmed.

At least pull all the parts out that you've recently put into it. No sense sending good near new parts of to the scrappers.

I do believe however you've set an LVC milestone. None to date that I know of have ever completed the 06 bumper cover inside interior mod.

Do grab all you can from it though, right down to the coils and such ... I do recall you had refreshed a far bit, even all accessory drive. Save the wheels, save the bumper cover. Scrappers will haul away cars even without wheels on it. They'll pull it on the flatbed. Usually metal guys will offer a few hundred. At least around here they do.

My wife's 03 will be hauled away through the gravel without wheels as I'm keeping those also.

Good luck on your next LS venture.
Chin up Bud, just a car. Get an 06, no less.

Last edited:
That's hilarious. I didn't know what else to do with it so I just shoved it in there and drove it from the tow yard to my uncle's place where its sitting now. I'm gonna sell it for $800.
Way too lazy to go pulling out parts as I don't have the tools / know-how / or patience to do it.
At this point I just want it out of my life and some money in my pocket so I can start new. Guy gave a $100 deposit today and will give $700 when he comes back with a tow.
Trying to finance this car with $2k down.
2004 Lincoln LS - Top Notch Auto & Truck Sales
If I can get in it, I'll just pay off the car in a couple of months to avoid the shitty interest and be in a better LS.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the V8 over the V6. Have you ever driven the V8?

I'm doing a complete engine / drivetrain swap from the V6 to V8. It's worth it!

lol. I had an 06 V8 bro...
I'm just gonna get a cheap pos off craigslist for now like a regency or 88 and go from there

sorry, I only half read this thread... Yeah the bumper gave it away and so did the obvious engine cover. It's been a long day lol.. Just dropped $500 on toe ends, forgive me I'm still light headed.

Sorry for the loss--Glad you weren't hurt.

I'm going to have to side with the others--Sell it/Scrap it/Do not repair it.

With these cars only being sold for a few years parts a premium and can be hard to find.

Did you not have the proper coverage on your insurance for this instance? I remember working for "The Farm" and we were totaling these cars for DOUBLE what they were "worth" on KBB and such. It was another reason for me getting one, just incase something happened--I'd come out on top compared to what I paid for it lol.

Goodluck with whatever direction you choose.

I had state minimum, that was stupid mistake #1
stupid mistake #2 was driving back from NYC with a frozen rear caliper
stupid mistake #3 was going to NYC with assholes that were just using me for my wallet, hence why I left alone
3 strikes and I'm out, broke and without a car

Its an option but he wants 2k down with a 20.99 interest rate and fixed monthly payments
Not worth it imo, just gonna get in something cheap and reliable and work towards getting another mint 06 ls from the original owner through a private sale

21%??? I would tell him to GFY too. That's crazy. Hang in there, things will turn around for you Uber.

Its an option but he wants 2k down with a 20.99 interest rate and fixed monthly payments
Not worth it imo, just gonna get in something cheap and reliable and work towards getting another mint 06 ls from the original owner through a private sale

Sorry to see this Uber! Hang in there and glad you were alright. Stay patient on finding the next one that feels right.

Side note - I was closing the books once at a used car dealer and was looking through some sample invoices to test their interest income, saw an MKX (used) being financed at 42% over 72 months. Car was a $7,200 sale price. :O

Any updates on your situation Uber? Hope all is well and things are looking up God bless you!

Long story short, I rear ended someone on the highway.

The frame is still straight, alignment is off, front left tire burst.

I scraped the wall on the right side before hitting the guy.

The car still runs great, no leaks. Should I fix it, sell it, or scrap it?

View attachment 828488906 View attachment 828488907
Don't feel bad bro I was hit while stopped behind the dump truck in the pics. The car that hit me was a Cry 300. man it was a hard hit. I broke the DS seat belt. Hopefully the insurance co Gieco will total the car. i would not feel safe driving it. I do have to admit the LS is one darn tough vehicle.

20171004_112200.jpg

20171004_112211.jpg

20171004_113508.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back