SCIL or PATS Issue?

MobyDick

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a Gen2 Mark VIII that had been sitting for 3 or 4 months. I finally threw a brand new battery in it, and it started right up. I drove it around a bit with no issues, and then came back and parked it. The next day I went out to drive it again but got nothing! I'm familiar with the notorious PATS issue where the anti-theft prevents the car from starting, but I'm not sure that is the case here. When I turn the key, there is no crank at all. The dash lights all go on, but then go back off, except the check engine light. The car is not "dead" though. The radio, power windows, sunroof, etc. all work fine with the key turned. The battery is good too (no drain). I'm familiar with starter issues, but this does not seem like one of those. I've spent a lot of time on this and other boards trying to isolate the problem but to no avail. I would appreciate any ideas from the community.

Its said that if it was PATS, you would get flashing lights on the dash. It sounds like another SCIL problem. Apparently that can show up in a variety of ways but all ways a dead key no start. If I were you, I would pull all the plugs off the SCIL inspect them for any moisture that may have gotten in there and replug. Also, maybe this isnt the exact problem but my g2 had a trans oil seepage from the rear seal that wet the trans harness plug thats over the tail shaft. The oil turned the plug connector wire insulators to chalk. Amazing I wasnt getting flat out grounding on most all of the many wires in that plug. I had to re-insulate the wires about 18 inches back to get to good wire. I'v never seen anything like it. My point is anything can short a single wire component that ends up going into the SCIL and bingo...bad SCIL. Heres a good post about it.

Ok, thanks. I'll take a look.

I have another, completely unrelated, question. Do you know if these Hayden or Four Seasons cooling fans are any good? The fan on my other Mark went out and I need a replacement. I will search the site to see if there are any posts on this.

I just did my cooling fan replacment last year. The old one was drawing alot of juice at start up. The slow stage strat up burns out in these cars so you only get full fan speed when they come on. The new fan is still running good.

Ok, thanks. I bought an original Gen2 Mark VIII fan yesterday off of Ebay so we'll see how long one lasts.

I have a Gen2 Mark VIII that had been sitting for 3 or 4 months. I finally threw a brand new battery in it, and it started right up. I drove it around a bit with no issues, and then came back and parked it. The next day I went out to drive it again but got nothing! I'm familiar with the notorious PATS issue where the anti-theft prevents the car from starting, but I'm not sure that is the case here. When I turn the key, there is no crank at all. The dash lights all go on, but then go back off, except the check engine light. The car is not "dead" though. The radio, power windows, sunroof, etc. all work fine with the key turned. The battery is good too (no drain). I'm familiar with starter issues, but this does not seem like one of those. I've spent a lot of time on this and other boards trying to isolate the problem but to no avail. I would appreciate any ideas from the community.
MobyDick, did you get the no crank issue resolved yet? I was having a crank-no start issue with my M*. After all my efforts it now neither cranks nor starts. The last thing I did was to attempt to unsuccessfully check for corrosion on the SCIL terminals now it don't crank???

Members online

Back