Scanner Tool

davemeradith

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm sick of Cali's BS no loaner/free diagnostic testing. I own a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 Non-Sport and I'd like to purchase my own scanner tool. Any one know which brand/type would be best AND compatible with my vehicle? If i get that I could shop around and find one but if you got where to buy and prices that would be awesome too. Thanks.

I'm sick of Cali's BS no loaner/free diagnostic testing. I own a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 Non-Sport and I'd like to purchase my own scanner tool. Any one know which brand/type would be best AND compatible with my vehicle? If i get that I could shop around and find one but if you got where to buy and prices that would be awesome too. Thanks.

Just go to autozone and buy the 65 dollar orange one. I have acouple and they work fine.

IIRC, this is the one I bought. Works well, just doesn't read ABS codes.

IIRC, this is the one I bought. Works well, just doesn't read ABS codes.

Thats the one I was talking about. I think its called the "pocket scan" Because of its small size. It can be bought at parts stores and is orange, just craftsman repackaged it.

I bought a Elm 327 bluetooth scanner off ebay for about $15 and it worked fine for me. It read my code, replaced coil for cylinder said and it runs fine now. Not to sure but i think its for android phones only. You download a app called torque.

I wonder if you had PC tuning software if you could use that device also

No.
Tuning software packages are tied to specific hardware interfaces and are much more involved than just code readers.
The OBD port has a lot of access to the vehicle's network (it's a network these days), but the cheap devices don't have the logic to access it. More precisely, they don't pay the license fees to gain legal access to it.

I bought a Elm 327 bluetooth scanner off ebay for about $15 and it worked fine for me. It read my code, replaced coil for cylinder said and it runs fine now. Not to sure but i think its for android phones only. You download a app called torque.

You can get PC, Windows Mobile, and IOS apps that talk to bluetooth OBD adapters. Note that you'll only get the most basic of capabilities out of that kind of setup.

You can get PC, Windows Mobile, and IOS apps that talk to bluetooth OBD adapters. Note that you'll only get the most basic of capabilities out of that kind of setup.

I have seen some of the nicer models of this, where you do get some tuning and gauge capabilities. They function the same as the live wire but they are very costly and I am not sure if the phone has to be running the app at all times, it would suck if you get a phone call and your performance goes out the window.

Tunes get flashed into the PCM, so the phone (and the adapter) are completely unnecessary once the programming is done. As noted, those are pricey units. The SCT Xcal runs ~$300 - a tad more than $30 for a generic OBD interface. Once someone starts talking that kind of cash they should really do some good research.
And the high end diag tools easily run ~$400, but do not support tuning.
And SCT appears to be the only vendor that has cracked the LS systems to be able to tune them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back