Sagging headliner

Lseme

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My headliner is sagging in rear center of car. Anyone else have this problem and if so, whats remedy ? Are there clips or velcro that hold it to roof ? I'd rather not tear into it until I get some feedback. Thanks.

I have the same issue in an '02, although no remedy to report. I'll be watching this thread closely.

I have the same issue in an '02, although no remedy to report. I'll be watching this thread closely.

I had this happen in my IROC some years back. The only real solution is to have the headliner replaced by a professional upholstery shop. You can use upholstery pins, which twist into place, to hold it back up.

Sorry, should have been more specific. It's the fiber board sagging not the headliner, so essentially the headliner & backing have pulled away from roof.

search this.. its definitely on here bc its a common issue. pretty sure most ppl were just using velcro to repair it. personally i just left mine alone and it has not gotten worse. gen 2 for me. pretty sure it used some sort of hook fastener from the factory, but dont quote me on that. im willing to bet it broke one day when you were driving around with the windows down.. seems to be the only time it moves around for me

search this.. its definitely on here bc its a common issue. pretty sure most ppl were just using velcro to repair it. personally i just left mine alone and it has not gotten worse. gen 2 for me. pretty sure it used some sort of hook fastener from the factory, but dont quote me on that. im willing to bet it broke one day when you were driving around with the windows down.. seems to be the only time it moves around for me

Yeah I searched a little but didn't get anywhere. It's sagging right at back window in center almost to dome light. I assume there's velcro or epoxy that has failed. Rather than risk damage to it I'll call in the professionals.

MADE ME LOOK !!!!!!!!!!!

yes,mine sagging same place.

some Velcro sticky both sides and careful placement of a board with padding for support while glue dries should end problem.

Sorry, should have been more specific. It's the fiber board sagging not the headliner, so essentially the headliner & backing have pulled away from roof.

The headliner isn't attached to the rook, AFAIK. It is held in place with the "A", "B" and "C" pillars. Sounds like the fiberboard is losing its shape. Probably need a new one. My son had an '85 Cougar where the glue holding the fabric deteriorated and had to be redone, but the backing was fine. This was in about 2002.....

in (at least) 2nd gens, the headliner IS attached to the roof (well at least should be!)

there is, sorry if I cant remember exacly, either double stick tape/glue holding it to the 3rd brake light right in the middle near the edge.

my repair was to get a small (about 2"x3") piece of PLASTIC velcro. the heavy duty stuff, didnt want to mess with the fuzzy stuff.

I separated the two halfs, used epoxy on them and stuck one to the headliner and the other to the 3rd brake light. let them sit apart for the night and then in the morning went and pushed them together. that was shortly after I first got in 08. haven't had a problem since.

some Velcro sticky both sides and careful placement of a board with padding for support while glue dries should end problem.

exactly this, but instead of holding them together, just wait until the glue dries before pushing them together.

in (at least) 2nd gens, the headliner IS attached to the roof (well at least should be!)

I believe the HMSL is the only place that has the velcro.

Yea, I know; I did pretty much what you did.

there is, sorry if I cant remember exacly, either double stick tape/glue holding it to the 3rd brake light right in the middle near the edge.

my repair was to get a small (about 2"x3") piece of PLASTIC velcro. the heavy duty stuff, didnt want to mess with the fuzzy stuff.

I separated the two halfs, used epoxy on them and stuck one to the headliner and the other to the 3rd brake light. let them sit apart for the night and then in the morning went and pushed them together. that was shortly after I first got in 08. haven't had a problem since.

exactly this, but instead of holding them together, just wait until the glue dries before pushing them together.

The stuff I have already has adhesive on it.
self sticky stuff.
given to me by a friend.
salesman that sold it to him used a 1x1 1/2 piece and hung a 3lb hammer from the ceiling with it,had to prop it up for awhile but it held ! :)

so I cant really use glue on it,,tho I like your way better.

Yeah I searched a little but didn't get anywhere. It's sagging right at back window in center almost to dome light. I assume there's velcro or epoxy that has failed. Rather than risk damage to it I'll call in the professionals.

the 'search box' on this website sometimes doesnt work at all and usually doesnt work well. use google's advanced search to set it to only search this domain/website...

this showed up on the 2nd result and it has everything you need, plus the corresponding tsb:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...lds-up-the-headliner-in-the-rear-by-3rd-light

once again, the velcro is recommended

It's called "Dual lock", "Ez-lock", or probably more commonly, "EZ-pass velcro". There are also some generic products. You can find a few different ones at the hardware store with normal velcro and adhesives
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-1-in-x-4-ft-Black-Extreme-Fasteners-RF6741/205520125

My 02 has dual lock near the moonroof, but I'm not sure if it's factory or a previous repair. Second Gens have a piece on the high brake light (or should?).

It's called "Dual lock", "Ez-lock", or probably more commonly, "EZ-pass velcro". There are also some generic products. You can find a few different ones at the hardware store with normal velcro and adhesives
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-1-in-x-4-ft-Black-Extreme-Fasteners-RF6741/205520125

My 02 has dual lock near the moonroof, but I'm not sure if it's factory or a previous repair. Second Gens have a piece on the high brake light (or should?).

yes to all of that

the two most important things are to use a good strong adhesive (that isn't effected by sitting in the heat) and to make sure to get a piece big enough so that you ahve enough surfacer area so that the glue doesn't just get pulled off of the headliner again.

aahhh ... and prepping the surface (roof) by means of wiping it down with alcohol. Bonded surfaces should be flashed prior to permanent adhesion for best results. At least that's the effort I usually put into it when gluing items back together.

Members online

No members online now.
Back