Safety Switch

olddavid

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My car has developed a tick - I have to turn the key while concurrently putting the gearshift into neutral so I can start and shift. I assume it is the safety switch, and on eBay they range from $19 to $75 and show multiple applications from Crown Vic to Explorer 4.0. Can the same switch possibly be that wide ranging? What experience have you guys had? They are all shown as Mark applicable. I am going to put it on the hoist and remove and clean the contacts on my switch before replacement.

What year is the car?

There should be early (93-96) and late (97-98 Mark VIII and 98+ other 4r70w cars) neutral safety/range sensors.

The early ones are known to have issues with water intrusion and failing, however you should see if it is just in need of being aligned/adjusted. I had to do that to my 97 Mark VIII when I bought it.

1998. When I get it on the hoist I should have a better idea of what is going on. Since I can jiggle the key and manipulate it until I get contact, I am guessing it is repairable. The pushbutton on the gear shift is smooth once I get past Park.

Do you have brake lights? There's a safety feature that will not allow the car to be shifted out of park if the brake light circuit is open. Check your lights and the fuse. Good luck!

Great 8, thank you. A very simple piece of advice saved me from a difficult task. But now I have no lights whatsoever in the rear. This will be fun. Thanks again for the tip about the lockout when brake lights are out. Now, what would take away all rear lighting at once? Test light and multimeter time.

Glad I could help. The first thing I would do is disconnect the ballast. Make sure the fuse didn't blow again. Most of the time the ballast shorts out and blows the fuse. If the fuse is still good, check the wiring harness on the trunk hinge. There has been problems with wires getting frayed and shorted there. I have never experienced that problem first hand. Good Luck!

No tail lights at all? Or just no Brake lights?

Tail light Fuse / Brake light switch

Sapper and G8, I am dead from the rear wheel wells back. No back up no license plate no neon no juice. I am going to get it in the garage and start from the trunk this evening. I have never seen anything like it - and the brake light fuse (32) is intact. This will be one for the record. If I can figure it out. And Sapperfire, am I brain dead or is your car a 98 with a first Gen nose and tail? I am just noticing this - and you've had that pic since I've been back. Just call me Blind Owl.

I'm thinking that the harness for the rear lights runs beside along the wheel well in the rear. You'd have to reverse trace it back from the housings to be sure. In one of my 93s that harness had (fallen/been placed by ) the rear shock, when the shock bushing failed the action of the shock jumping up and down sawed through that entire harness. Had to splice/solder like 35 wires

Do you have front parking lights? If not I would look at the SCIL. I bought a 98 that only had blinkers and hi beams. I replaced the SCIL and everything came back. There are two 98s in a junkyard by me. If you do in fact need a SCIL just let me know and I will go get it. There are very good instructions on here somewhere on how to program it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back