Sad to say goodbye

Jack Flash

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, it had to come to this, I sold the LS. My job moved and the daily commute became way too far, tripling my traveling expenses.

I originally figured I'd keep it for the week ends, and buy a much more gas friendly car for traveling, which I did. But after a few weeks of playing with the cars in the driveway, and the fact my driveway is not the biggest (4 compact cars), I figured it would quickly become hell when winter rolls around.

The garage was not an option, since I'm a sports bike fan, and there are three sports bikes in there, plus my bike work table. So, with a heavy heart, advertised the LS, and 24hrs later, she was gone. Only 2 cars from all the cars I've owned made me sad to see it drive away, and the LS is one of them.

I really enjoyed this forum, and all the help everyone has provided. I was much more a post whoring newbie, than a contributor, but in my defence, pretty hard to add to a car that's pushing 17 years. Plus, my car was pretty good to me. The normal wear & tear problems, like coils, and suspension squeeks, but nothing major. So, I'd like to thank Joegr, G-Rell, Telco, 1loud, Big Rig, 1LS, etc. (sorry if I missed you) for all the great posts and help. If a newbie like myself is reading this, listen to any advise the above mentionned provide, and don't second guess them....THEY KNOW !

Perhaps if I move, and get a bigger garage, I may just get another one to sit besides the bikes, but for now, it's goodbye.

Good luck with your LS', and keep'em roll'in !

Cheers everyone ! :cool:

When I sold my LS after only 6 months of ownership and just 800 miles driven, sadness was never an emotion I felt. Relief on the other hand was. It never failed me once but the more threads I read here, the more frightful I became. I actually made money on the sale and bought a BMW (my 4th) a month later.

farewell, and I hope the new ride treats you well through the years.

When I sold my LS after only 6 months of ownership and just 800 miles driven, sadness was never an emotion I felt. Relief on the other hand was. It never failed me once but the more threads I read here, the more frightful I became. I actually made money on the sale and bought a BMW (my 4th) a month later.

Don't read the BMW forums. You think the LS scared you......

Or any forum. Unless you purchase a brand new car with a factory warranty, you are pretty much on your own and anything can happen that will cost you thousands of dollars in repairs. I had my 2000 LS for almost 12 years and it was reliable. I kept up on maintenance and fixed issues when they occurred. Of course I can't promise that the next owners will not have issues because it is 17 years old (build date of Sept '99) but those are the risks when you purchase a used car.

As I stated, this is my 4th BMW. A good used BMW is not near as problematic as the LS, especially if it was taken care of to start with. BMW owners were more faithful in the regular service intervals generally but there are some real dogs out there. The horror stories I read on the BMW forums are from the PO's neglect. I didn't buy one of those.

Best of luck Jack... A garage full of sport bikes beats anything you could ever put out in that driveway!!! My neighbor does the 4 car shuffle, looks awful.. Let us know if you need anything.

Almost all forums that are aimed at DD cars will be filled with horror stories. Those who have no problems are unlikely to post.

My own LS, bought new in the early part of 2002, has been exemplary. It has been more trouble-free than any of the dozens of other cars I've owned.

KS

As I stated, this is my 4th BMW. A good used BMW is not near as problematic as the LS, especially if it was taken care of to start with. BMW owners were more faithful in the regular service intervals generally but there are some real dogs out there. The horror stories I read on the BMW forums are from the PO's neglect. I didn't buy one of those.

Thats the same thing with an LS. If it was taken care of, and paid attention to the specific quirks its a great ride. Sadly, all too often I now see 'tools' driving around in a obviously 'ab'used vehicles, and my heart drops.

Didnt see much of you since I am new but still til next time!

^ as so is mine

As mine have been. My only fear is/was the lack of factory repair parts. Interior trim parts are pretty much unattainable! I still need the piece that goes behind the door pull on the driver's door card.

Thats the same thing with an LS. If it was taken care of, and paid attention to the specific quirks its a great ride. Sadly, all too often I now see 'tools' driving around in a obviously 'ab'used vehicles, and my heart drops.

Didnt see much of you since I am new but still til next time!

EXACTLY!!!!!!! Add in that these owners are 3rd or 4th owners. Their LSes are like the high school tart!

Don't know about that.... Check out this thread.....

Best of luck Jack... A garage full of sport bikes beats anything you could ever put out in that driveway!!! My neighbor does the 4 car shuffle, looks awful.. Let us know if you need anything.

Thanks !

Later Jack, sorry we never got a chance to meet up considering we are so close.

All the best.

EDIT - - - - Please take no offense, just a little joke!

= Classic !!! Good ol' Ray

No worries, none taken. Ray is always welcome in my home.

I know you sometimes come to what is west of me, if during one of my rides I see a rig with LS writen all over it, I'll make sure to wave...:cool:

Thanks !

Later Jack, sorry we never got a chance to meet up considering we are so close.

All the best.

EDIT - - - - Please take no offense, just a little joke!

= Classic !!! Good ol' Ray

No worries, none taken. Ray is always welcome in my home.

I know you sometimes come to what is west of me, if during one of my rides I see a rig with LS writen all over it, I'll make sure to wave...:cool:

Members online

No members online now.
Back