Running temp and Engine cover

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So, someone over on the Facebook claimed that the LS using the engine cover will cause the engine to run hotter than without.

I took mine off and monitored the coolant temp via my ODB2 app and it maybe ran a couple of degrees cooler sometimes.

Not sure it was a scientific experiment...what do you all think and/or have any of you compared engine cover on or off?

And no, I not talking about the hood, the cover with the Lincoln logo that sits over the intake manifold...for those ready to make a joke...LOL

So, someone over on the Facebook claimed that the LS using the engine cover will cause the engine to run hotter than without.

I took mine off and monitored the coolant temp via my ODB2 app and it maybe ran a couple of degrees cooler sometimes.

Not sure it was a scientific experiment...what do you all think and/or have any of you compared engine cover on or off?

And no, I not talking about the hood, the cover with the Lincoln logo that sits over the intake manifold...for those ready to make a joke...LOL
It only makes since that anything covering the engine will make it run hotter ...I personally don’t use the cover ...I would rather let my car breathe ...other ppl will argue that even the Coil Cover burns up the COPs but Personally I won’t take those off ...I think it’s better to keep them covered

No, it doesn't make it run any hotter. The slight amount of insulation is there for sound, not heat. It's over the intake manifold runners. Those have cool outside air flowing in them when the engine is running.
If you logged temperatures in exact controlled conditions, you wouldn't see any difference. Of course, this is stupid and not worth arguing with anyone. If they want to run without them, let them think it is somehow better if they want too. It's not helping, but it's not hurting anything either.

No, it doesn't make it run any hotter. The slight amount of insulation is there for sound, not heat. It's over the intake manifold runners. Those have cool outside air flowing in them when the engine is running.
If you logged temperatures in exact controlled conditions, you wouldn't see any difference. Of course, this is stupid and not worth arguing with anyone. If they want to run without them, let them think it is somehow better if they want too. It's not helping, but it's not hurting anything either.
And there you have it...it didn't seem like it would make a difference and my brief experiment seemed to bear that out. Now back to arguing about whether folks should use a Dorman degas bottle...

Well... Call me stupid, but I have run without the engine cover and coil covers since I bought my LS with 75k on the clock.

The only anecdotal evidence I can give for benefits is... that now at 214k my vacuum lines and wire looms haven't crumbled... and the clips on the coil and fuel injector connectors haven't broken.

The covers may not cause the engine to run hotter... but they may trap heat that affects some plastic parts.

Well... Call me stupid, but I have run without the engine cover and coil covers since I bought my LS with 75k on the clock.

The only anecdotal evidence I can give for benefits is... that now at 214k my vacuum lines and wire looms haven't crumbled... and the clips on the coil and fuel injector connectors haven't broken.

The covers may not cause the engine to run hotter... but they may trap heat that affects some plastic parts.
Ummm...yeah You my friend are so far from that word ....sorry ....can’t call you that...ever...lol

but they may trap heat that affects some plastic parts.

Bingo!
You cannot change physics. Cover something generating heat (i.e pot on the stove, vehicle engine) and you begin to trap heat. I removed the cover off my wifes chrysler (5.7 Hemi) and I noticed immediately it was running cooler. How? In the same temperatures, the fan was not kicking in as much. That right there tells me shes not trapping as much heat.

But as you said, more so, the plastics around the engine are the concern. FWIW, I removed the engine cover day one on my First LS (bought at 115k kms), and drove to 280k kms, sold it, without coolant parts cracking.

100% engine covers are cancerous and I remove them, always.

Members online

Back