running poorly again

94silvermark

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
A few days ago my car started running badly again. It's tough to start in the morning and the idle shoots up to 2k when it does start. When it's warm it idles between 600 and 900. I'm getting 14-15mpg and it misses at idle. It has new plugs and wires, a new dpfe, new intake gaskets, and all new vacuum lines. Also it gear hunts going into 3rd sometimes. I'm going to order a new tps and iac but all opinions are welcome.

That was my hunch when i first noticed the hard starting. I wish i had the right fitting to hook my pressure gauge up. It seems to have good high end power but this is the first mark viii i have driven fast.

My local auto parts store lends out the fuel pressure tester kit. Try asking around.

The hard starting and the miss at idle makes me really lean hard toward the fuel pump. Of course, as others have said, it's something to check into first, as even if you need to buy a fuel pressure test gauge, it's still cheaper than buying a pump and installing it if you needn't have to. Or, god forbid you need to pay someone to install it. :/ Unfortunately your IAC and your TPS are going to be difficult enough, but of course, if they haven't been replaced since OEM, it's probably good preventative maintenance. Good luck to ya man!

check for codes, just in case there is a stored code.
and get the fuel pressure checked.

kinda does sound like a weak pump, but i would like some diagnoses before parts buying happens.

I don't think diagnosis is really necessary this time. I found that it runs way better with more fuel in the tank so there is some problem with the pump or it's pickup.

I don't think diagnosis is really necessary this time. I found that it runs way better with more fuel in the tank so there is some problem with the pump or it's pickup.

incorrect, that IS diagnosis!
a step in the right direction.

lol i meant diagnosis with a pressure tester. I wasn't attempting to solve a problem just putting gas in the car which ended up telling me something. Which fuel pump should i order? Will a walbro make a difference with a mostly stock car?

Will there be any benefit to using a walbro pump on a mostly stock car?

Longevity. I'm sure you'll want it to last longer than say, a week, so a trusted manufacturer is the route to go. Airtex is something you'll want to avoid, they're cheap for a reason. My Aurora used to throw fuel pumps with some regularity due to a combined effort of a failing feedback system and a poor gasket design, and one of my first choices was an Airtex, it lasted a whole maybe two months. It wasn't even water or heat that killed it, like you might think. It just starting singing louder and louder, until pretty soon it didn't produce enough psi to kick the car over. Junk.

i agree. a good name brand will last longer. Walbro is one of the best.
at least a 190 lph pump should be good. i run a 255 lph in the 93.

Members online

No members online now.
Back