Rumbling Stumbling Fumbling....IAC/Tranny? Maybe?

The Rev

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok this may get long, who knows.

I *think* my tb gasket has a small leak
My intake tube -> valve cover hose is duct taped together.

Now for whats happening.

Before warming up, if I try to get in the car and go (like I used to before I ripped the tube I believe) It'll stumble on acceleration. The idle will be rough (always has, just more recently) until after 4-5 minutes you'll hear a noticeable change when it levels out. After getting in if I need to accel. heavily (get out of my street, on highway, etc) it'll stumble 3 times and then go fine. That seems to be my only problems during start/warm up.

On the highway at cruising speed, if I want to pass someone or romp it, occasionally it will vibrate like I'm going over "rumblestrips" for a half a second, not very noticeably and then will accel. fine. Also this is an old problem but when I am coasting sometimes I can press the pedal down an inch or so and it won't pick up, like the revs wont change at all but it'll gain speed just not as much as it should with the pedal being pushed as far as I did....wow thats confusing.

These issues aren't killing me, but obviously I'd like to have a really good running car. Also I've been using Lucas fuel treatment every fill-up for over a month and noticed a 1-2mpg increase since before. Still a dream to get 13mpg around the city.

My questions;

What role would the IACV play in this with relation to mpg, rough idle, stumbling, etc? And exactly how hard is the IACV to replace? I lose patience on these jobs very easily and am aware of taking the cowl off, etc but the tranny coming out isn't an option. I've also never even seen it.

I'm taking care of the tb gasket and the ripped tube as well. I don't expect that to correct the stumbling as much, maybe the idling more?

I'll bet money my 02's are causing my CEL (but my scanner doesn't work on my 93 so who knows) and I'm sure they are the main reason my mpg sucks. I plan on paying the exhaust shop (when I get enough cash) to do this, how much of an increase (assuming the 02's are really bad) in mpg should I expect?

Flushing the tranny fluid and changing the filter, it doesnt look all that hard, take off all bolts, get covered in fluid, replace filter, bolt pan back up, fill again? Idk when it (if ever) has been changed, could that possibly help the shudder at cruising speeds? And I'm sure it wouldn't help to replace.

Man this is long but yeah, I'd like to catch these before they become an issue.

You will know if the pan has ever been off the tranny when you drop it. If there is a plastic plug in there then it has never been dropped. This plug is used to plug up the dip stick hole and is poked out and into the pan at the assemly line. Just pitch it if it is there. You then should go ahead and upgrade your accumulators and perform any up grades (J Mod), if you are after more performance. Also be sure to pop the Torque Convertor cover and rotate the convertor around so that you can remove the pipe plug from it and finish draining the dirty fluid from it. You will need about 14 qts of Mercon V to refill the system. Another opportunity to also add a tranny cooler as well.

You have failed to mention anything about when this car has had any maintance on the ignition side of things including fuel filter/ air filter. The IAC can be a big part of the car ideling smoothly, and also alot of carbon build up will drag down your overall engine response. A healthy dose of Seafoam multiple time could not hurt you for starters. Sooty build up also can be attributed to a faulty Egr so this may need attention as well.

If this were my ride I would get the stuff done to the tranny, and then get the maintance issues addressed, and replace the EGR and IAC. For the last two items I have a local shop who has a good mechanic and is of slight build and can get in there easier than I can. He get sabout $65.00 ea. to change them but its worth it to me.(No blood and cursing)

Sorry for my lack of detail.

Fuel filter replaced less than 1k ago.
Conical less than 2k.
Seafoamed last month through brake booster vacuum, then through crankcase, and some more in the gas.
Lucas has been used for the last few fill ups.

I've read the tech articles about tranny fluid replacement, rotating the engine to get to the tc bolt, etc. Sounds doable. I probably won't do a jmod. I'm comfortable with the performance I have (for now....hehe) but just want it to run as good as it can ya know? Usually I splurge on this car and just replace whatever. Now I'm looking to move out and I put myself on a strict budget. I need to get the exhaust done (I think I've developed a few leaks) and the 02s as well. That'll be the first thing I address, then tranny. Or vice versa who knows.

I hate to bring this thead back to life, but my car seems to be doing the exact samething. REV - what did you do to resolve this and what was the issue? thanks!

I hate to bring this thead back to life, but my car seems to be doing the exact samething. REV - what did you do to resolve this and what was the issue? thanks!

I know when I have had this issues lately, I have a faulty IMRC that will act the same way when cold. I have one that is defective so it will run nice when warmed up and when I am on the turnpike moving above 60 MPH no stutter.
Hope this might offer some assistance.

Yeah, the car runs good when it is cold. However - when I get on it hard, that is when it seems to stutter really bad. I was thinking fuel pump, fuel filter, but the IMRC didn't cross my mind at all. :(

Car issue resolved. There was a miss on cylinder #1, which was a bad injector harrness. If you wiggle the connection, the car would misfire like crazy. Cleaned the connector and readjusted the pins, all is well. Good thing it wasnt anything major. :) Thanks for all the feedback, it is much appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.
Back