RPM data error??

isaiah3g

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am outside with my car right now and the car has been starting fine all day. I get in it to start it again and it just turns over and turns and turns....I pressed system check and it said RPM data error and Fuel Flow Error...what is this? and how do i fix it asap? I have to have the car for work in the morning!

strange thing,it started up. and your guess is better than mine...i tried searching but i didn't find anyhting.

well...not anything that would be fixable over night under the carport. I did find a few threads saying it could be that sensor. But it was saying that the Fuel Flow was causing that error to happen.

Well... could very well be. Personally, I've never seen such an error on the data center display. I don't recall seeing anything about fuel flow errors when my pump went out, either. Truth be told, I never looked at the "system Check" when that went out. I knew what it was.

Do you have a CEL? If so, pull the codes. I think a CPS will code, but I'm not sure anymore.

is a CEL anything to do with a computer for diagnosis? if so then no i dont. For some reason i just decided to look at the "system check" and it came up. it did it to me again a few minutes ago...i waited about 5 mins and it started right up. Hopefully it'll start in the morning...thanks for your help.

OOOOHHH lol sorry it was late and i wasn't thinking....no it wasn't on and didn't come on at all. I got in it this morning and it started right up. Every now and then it'll act up and fix itself<--- like work on its own.

its was pixie midgets that fixed the car when you wernt looking!

I say the RPM data error message once a few months ago. Turned the car off and started it again and it was gone. Not sure what causes it.

Isaiah,

Since it is intermittent, it may be your crank or cam position sensor wire connectors. Check that these connectors are not coming off. These sensors provide timing data to your ignition module. The cam position sensor is just behind the power steering fluid reservior, and the crank position sensor is between the AC compressor and the engine block. While you are checking the connectors, with them disconnected, check the resistance of each sensor. They should be between 290 and 390 ohms.

The crank position sensor wire connector can be seen from up top, but you may have to raise the car up and get underneath to get at it.

http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/cranksensor.html
http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/camsensor.html

rob

You should also be able to check the CPS with a VMM set it to AC voltage and someone with the Gen2 FSM should be able to provide you with the specifications as far as test voltage, and resistance.

Once set to AC voltage have someone crank while you check the voltage. The car wont fire since there is no input from the CPS but it can tell you if its good or bad.

thanks so much for helpin me out....thats one thing i love about this site,people are willing to help thanks again,i'll be sure and crawl under the hood and check those out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back