Rough door handle

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Driver’s and passenger door handle seems to be a bit rougher to open than the rear doors. Is this an alignment issue or possibly a latch issue. Here is a little video of the issue.

I did see Joe's response a while back regarding a hook or clip inside the door panel. Could that be it?

Thanks,

Roger

How does it open from inside? If it's good there, then I think that would rule out alignment or latch problems. If it is bad from the inside, then you want to resolve it before you can't get the door open and have to destroy the trim.

You may have to take the interior door trim off and have a look. It could be the exterior door rod "adjustment", but only if someone recently messed with it. You unclip the yellow clip, pop the rod out, put the rod back in (in its natural position) and close the yellow latch back.
It could also be the exterior handle assembly.

How does it open from inside? If it's good there, then I think that would rule out alignment or latch problems. If it is bad from the inside, then you want to resolve it before you can't get the door open and have to destroy the trim.

You may have to take the interior door trim off and have a look. It could be the exterior door rod "adjustment", but only if someone recently messed with it. You unclip the yellow clip, pop the rod out, put the rod back in (in its natural position) and close the yellow latch back.
It could also be the exterior handle assembly.
Thanks, I think the internal open is ok. I will double check. I have, unfortunately, become somewhat of an expert at taking off the internal door trim...(heavy sigh emoticon...)

Bad hinges??? Open the front doors up and see if you can lift the door. If you get a 1/4" or more of movement when lifting... the hinges are getting bad. This usually only happens to the front doors due to the heavier weight. You can adjust the striker plate/latch in the pillar post to compensate... but eventually you are going to need hinges... and they seem to be getting scarce... and don't come painted. Don't ask me how I know this. ;)

Bad hinges??? Open the front doors up and see if you can lift the door. If you get a 1/4" or more of movement when lifting... the hinges are getting bad. This usually only happens to the front doors due to the heavier weight. You can adjust the striker plate/latch in the pillar post to compensate... but eventually you are going to need hinges... and they seem to be getting scarce... and don't come painted. Don't ask me how I know this. ;)

Thanks for the input. I gave the doors a little tug and there seems to be no play up or down. It appears the door doesn't pull up nice, tight, and snug. If I push in on the door from the outside and then pull the handle, the latch opens and disengaged very easily. My thinking is that my 11 yr old managed to get the seat belt stuck in the door a couple of times when the belt retractor wasn't working so well. So, is there a way to have the door close more tightl and snuggly?

If when you push in on the door and pull the handle,,, it opens smoothly... then it seems like the striker needs to be moved out. Either that or the exterior handle has wear in the mechanism inside as Joe suggested.

So are you saying that when the door is fully closed... it isn't flush with the rest of the body? If the door isn't closing fully... then the striker needs to be moved in,,, or something else is wrong.

Per chance,,, did the wind happen to catch that door recently... or are your kids or significant other in the habit of pushing the door hard open. If that's the case,,, then it might be the hinges are tweaked slightly.

I clipped and reclipped the yellow door clip and lubed everything to ensure that all the mechanisms are not binding up. I think the "issue" which is just a little annoyance to me rather than being something actually "wrong" is a slight alignment issue with the door and the striker. Having said that, I am not sure it is worth trying to "fix". I fear I would potentially make it worse.

I did notice a little grey tab that was attached to the yellow clip. Not sure what it was for.

Members online

Back