Rocky Shifting and Misfire / Dear Diary

pal_bonds

LVC Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I dropped my 00 v6 ls to the dealership because of driveability issues such as Rocky Shifting and Misfires. Well, today I got a call from the dealership and they told me that 2 of my coils were bad and the other 4 were getting bad. Also, they advised me to change all 6 spark plugs. This nice packaged deal will cost just under 700$. I decided to get them to only replace the 2 bad coils and hopefully next time I'll be able to change them myself.

Stay posted as I will keep track of the experience once I do get the car.

:eek2:

The saga continues.
I just got a call from the dealership and they now have to change 3 coils since one of them was cracked. The bill is getting higher...
:Bang

pal_bonds said:
The saga continues.
I just got a call from the dealership and they now have to change 3 coils since one of them was cracked. The bill is getting higher...
:Bang

Hey if they are doing the ones on the Right Hand side, the passenger side you would be wise to do all three and the plugs while they are in there. The hours/effort involved getting to those components is great and will cost you much more if you delay to a later date.

All the coils and plugs on the LH side are accessible and can be replaced by you at home with simple hand tools.

BTW coils are going to be in one of two states good or bad. The only time they are getting bad is the moment before failure.

I got the car back yesterday and everything seems fine. I drove it like a mad man last night and no misfires or rocky shifts. Let's hope this lasts.

i was on a long trip last weekend and i was passing a semi and i had a misfire. the check engine light was on. then it turned off and when i went up to 45-55 mph it would have rocky shifting. my mechanic noticed that there was a couple bad gaskets and oil was in the plugs and the boots that go on the plug, 2 were bad. it drive better but not 100%. and in Drive and sitting at a light, it was have a jump every once and a while

If your mechanic noticed oil in your spark plug wells, then it's definitely time to get your gaskets replaced. As far as the coil-on-plugs(COP) goes, unless you have a high tech scan tool that can perform engine analysis or you don't mind going to the dealer and paying $87(that's what my local dealer charge for diagnostic) just for them to look at it, then you can try to use the guessing method.

A lot of times if the COP boot is badly burned or very loose fitting, it's a tell tell sign that it is going to go(if not gone already). Another thing is that the PCM really won't pop the engine light unless the plug is completely gone and/or misfiring is repeating.

Now this is a THEORY I have come up with in my past history of owning three LS's in six years(since '99). I am a Ford Design Engineer and I know my car very well, but I stress that I am not a mechanic.

So if you like, you can take this with a grain of salt!

Members online

Back