rims and tires

mcafferty

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I would like to get a set of rims this summer for the car and want to know where to get them. has anyone ordered them online before? what size looks good on the car and what tires handle the best? I dont want it to ride to hard. and want them to be wife proof if posible. thanks

- it a totally personal decision - so it hard to comment on a question like this.

the stock 17" are:
Rims
o OEM 17x7.5, 5x108 (107.95mm / 4.31in), 60mm offset, 4.25 bolt circle
Tires
o OEM 235/50r17
o Lincoln alternate 245/45r17

but like always - if you go aftermarket and are looking for larger rims - there are alot of options

Go here to get an idea of what will look good on your car. Click on "View Wheels On Your Vehicle" under "Advanced Wheel Search".

Tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com are good places to buy from.

I have 18" with 245/45/18 continental touring contact tires from discount tire.
If you goto tires.com and look at their "interactive" wheel program you can mount any set up to a LS
I went with MB Motoring Design series model "Vision"
its a sharp wheel looks awesome turns heads isnt so big that performance is hurt. ride is good and with the tires I chose still very low road noise.
heres a link to the wheel http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?tpc=MBDVIS&tp=Car/Minivan

i envy all you LS owners who can afford all the fun stuff. i wish i could get some new wheels. :(
even if i did have money, i'd be really picky. i dont like too many of the wheels out there. i'd have to stick with a chrome 5-spoke.
someone on here has some nice chrome wheels that are pointy star shaped 5 spoke 20"...cant remember who's it was, but they are absolutely beeeeeeeeeeaaaauuuuuutttiifffuuullL!!!!!

oh wait, i do have money, but i'm spending $150 on another tattoo tomorrow. i could have an amp for my interiors with that money. or the front windows tinted. or 4 coil packs... :Bang my minds made up though. oh well... may 20th, i'm gonna start a 2nd job... 1st things first... 600$ for new tires. :(
then the coil packs...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?wd=18&pc=51333&rw=8&bp=5-108

My Brother in Law is a Manager at Discount. He is ordering one of these up for me to try on and see if I like it...

tswslo.c.ang.jpg

tylers65 said:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?wd=18&pc=51333&rw=8&bp=5-108

My Brother in Law is a Manager at Discount. He is ordering one of these up for me to try on and see if I like it...

tswslo.c.ang.jpg

That would look alot nicer if the star was set back were the rivets are, so that the rim had a nice little lip on it. I really like the wheel I just think that it would look so much nicer if it had a nice lip around the rim. Just my two cents though.

Cheers
:Beer

The hard part is the offset our cars require. It is hard to get much of a lip on a rim without it looking like the center is sticking out too far.

Just did a test fit of the above Wheel. The other 3 are now on the way with BFG G-Force KDW NS 245/45ZR18

Let the fun begin.

Here is mine with 20 inch wheels. The tires measure 245/35/20 and have no rubbing issues whatsoever.

52mg55.gif

they are 8.5 wide with a 245/35/20 no rub at all unless I hit a bump to fast then it hits

IO have 255/35/20's on my LS on 8.5 in rims, and have no rubbing or rough ride issues. The reason for the 255 over the 245 was the cost the 255 were cheaper. So I only paid $1640.00 mounted and balanced.

Ls 2.jpg

mcafferty said:
I would like to get a set of rims this summer for the car and want to know where to get them. has anyone ordered them online before? what size looks good on the car and what tires handle the best? I dont want it to ride to hard. and want them to be wife proof if posible. thanks

Dunno about ordering online, but as far as size goes, imho I believe that most rim/tire combinations look good on the LS as long as you minimize two things:
Tire thickness, and wheel well gap
I think cars with larger rims look good because they have low profile tires and the wheel well gap is minimized. I also think that you can get the same look with not so large rims if you put some low profiles on and have the ride height lowered. (like QuikLS's car). Most folks who have upgraded their rims either go with 18's or 20's. I have not heard too many complaints about the ride quality with 20's, but I have heard even less from folks with 18's. When I upgrade, I am going with 20's. As for making the LS "wife proof" you're on your own for that one! good luck

me personally im a 20's fan. Teenage rims just dont look good on a grown up ride.

2k2ls said:
me personally im a 20's fan. Teenage rims just dont look good on a grown up ride.

I prefer to not take away from my cars handling abilities by adding extra unsprung weight.

There are many schools of thought about wheels and most boil down to taste. The hard part is finding a happy medium for the LS. It is difficult to find a wheel that is appealing to the eye that is not so big that it messes up the handling.

It has always been my personal thought that form should follow function in this department. I actually liked the look of the factory wheel on this car. Unfortunately, the previous owner was an ederly woman with a lack of depth perception. All 4 corners had been curbed. I thought about replacing them with factory wheels, but for the price I paid for the wheels I got, it would have been silly to spend the money without upgrading.

The part that sucks is that I got them on Friday and it rained extremely hard here all day after I got them. Then I had to work from home all weekend. I have not had a good chance to see how well these tires take corners.

Members online

No members online now.
Back