Rich and retarded

Ryanthelsman

LVC Member
Reaction score
Down to the last step of getting my project ls registered and im having really weird emissions issues. Pretty much the car starts to run very very rich at idle and you can hear little backfires from the exhaust. I get p0175 fairly quick after resetting codes.(bank 2 rich). Then p0022 and p0012 follow shortly after. (Camshaft A position timing over retarded) but after revving the car it will go back to normal fuel use. And then back to rich eventually. The car dosnt run rich when driving and sounds healthier. Clearly its trying to compensate for something but i cant figure out what.

After doing a proper drive cycle- most systems will set except for catalyst and EVAP. The evap didn’t have any obvious issues or failures when checked

Update: we took the EGR out and the plunger was carbon locked in-place. Replaced it and the rich code is gone. Nice. But i still have p0012 and p0022.
The car runs much better and most of the time has a healthy factory like idle, but occasionally runs a little rough.

Both solenoids engage when power is sent to them, and the wiring test from the workshop manual come out ok. Altho with the key on one time we got a weird reaction as if there was a short but it went away? Strange. Idea?

Members online

Back