Reuse Newish Brake Pads?

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
When I bought my LS recently the last owner had somewhat new pads on, I'd say about 80% is on them. But they never cut the rotors, and they need to be for sure. So when I put my freshly cut rotors back will these pads have a layer or glaze on them that would prevent braking a little? Or will anything like that just wear off?

They will be grooved to match the grooves that were in the rotors before. You will have reduced braking due to that. Eventually, they will wear in, but they may well re-groove the rotors that you just turned.

Lol, two of the most contradicting posts. I guess Joe is right but the grooving isnt that bad..

he is right, but the braking depreciation will be hardly noticeable (unless in an emergency), but should wear in to the new rotors fairly quickly. A few hours of careful driving and you should be fine....

Legal Disclaimer: G-rell is not responsible for any death or near death experiences. All advice taken is with the understanding that G-Rell doesn't care about your personal safety (or those around you) and most likely will put you in harms way. No legal course of action can be taken.

What I said is true.
What G-Rell said (about being fine) is also most likely true.
The statements are not in conflict. I point out the risks, and he indicates that normally the risks are overcome.

What I said is true.
What G-Rell said (about being fine) is also most likely true.
The statements are not in conflict. I point out the risks, and he indicates that normally the risks are overcome.

G-rell and Joegr are not starbursts

G-rell and Joegr are not starbursts

Maybe not... but they both have valid points. It depends on quality, type, and hardness of the pad. A soft pad will wear to the rotor. A hard pad will wear the rotor to the pad.

---Mike---

Members online

No members online now.
Back