Retractable plates in progress

Anyone tried to argue that the vehicle didn't come with front plate option from the factory??

LOL....maybe some rookie cop will believe it.

If only........

V C Section 5200 Display of License Plates
Display of License Plates

5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

ALAX7 you're perfectly justified doing what you're doing. It's a no brainer really and I'm sure more people would have the retractable plate if it was more available or better known. Not sure I'd waste anymore time explaining yourself, the looks of the LS without a plate vs with a plate (especially mounted directly to the bumper) says it all without needing an explanation. You don't have to be into shows or be narcissistic or anything to want a cleaner looking front end. I think it makes even more of a case in light of how many states don't even require a front plate.

IMO states that still require front plates are backward and not willing to change with the times.

Perhaps there are pictures/videos that explain this, but...why go through the trouble of making this, when there are kits out there to do the same thing?

Thanks guys and thanks rodewaryer

sweet idea, dude. I may have to try this as well. I HATE front plates.

IMO states that still require front plates are backward and not willing to change with the times.

Dude, it's all about revenue. You'll find states with red light cameras (probably photo radar too) also require the front plate. They need a picture of you and the plate at the same time. We have those dastardly things here, but they take a picture of the front and back now due to some lawsuit. There was a time when not having a front plate cost the same as running a red light instead of just a fix-it ticket.

I live in a small town, and removed my front plate. I was pulled over 3 times - once on a very busy street - in about a week's time. I have to have one here. Cops got nothing better to do.

i live in a small town, and removed my front plate. I was pulled over 3 times - once on a very busy street - in about a week's time. I have to have one here. Cops got nothing better to do.

+1

no sh*t alax....this topic has been discussed before...and it's aside from the obvious....like WHY THOUGH? its 2010 who still gets tickets for that stuff anymore....i have tints on my windshield...no front license plate...tinted front windows...super loud exhaust...no inspection sticker (on my honda lol) and yesterday i was going down a hill so fast i didnt have enough time to slow down when i saw a cop turn into my oncoming traffic lane so he literally had to stop so i wouldnt hit him since he made a wide a$$ turn...and he didnt stoip me or bust a u turn or anything. AND IM PRETTY SURE THATS GROUNDS FOR GETTING PULLED OVER...I MEAN COME ON!!!!!

dont u have that police shield in the window? lol

that cop must have been tired or somethin tho

Its funny to read you guys get on alax but you have to understand he is in california, the state is going broke and the cops need to make money. They right a ticket for anything that is a law even the most minor of offenses they do not care as long as the let you go with a citation in your hand.

Alax i love the idea and when your done ill be more than interested to get with you and possibly do the same because im out in 29 palms

Thanks man. I should have it done in a month when I can work on new mods again. I'll post a video up on this.

I have one of these although I've never mounted it. An old friend of mine had one on his 335 and it worked well. I hit 150+ with the plate both up/down, and it didn't fly off in either position. If you are slammed you will run into issues though, and that was ultimately the demise of his set-up.

The one he had/I have is really nice though and come with a remote as well.

I have one of these although I've never mounted it. An old friend of mine had one on his 335 and it worked well. I hit 150+ with the plate both up/down, and it didn't fly off in either position. If you are slammed you will run into issues though, and that was ultimately the demise of his set-up.

The one he had/I have is really nice though and come with a remote as well.

Glad you found LVC to post this on, WELCOME!

:W2:V

Glad you found LVC to post this on, WELCOME!

:W2:V

Thank you very much. I am actually going to look at an LS tomorrow, so hopefully I will have some pics to post in the LS owner's thread tomorrow.

I have a thread(technically two, I switched pages and didn't see that you need admin approval for a new thread and created another) that is currently waiting for admin approval, introducing myself and asking a few questions.

Yeah I know of those plates. I didn't want to put it under the car though since bacause you can see the rail on that system. I dont want anything to be visible when the plates are hidden.

Hey Alex, I say make two while you are at it and I will have one also. Just let me know when?

I'll make one for you if you want, but It's not that hard though if you want to tackle it yourself.The mounting will probably be the hardest. You can come see it when it's done and if you like it i'll do one for you

If you provode the parts then yeah. Each actuator is 80+ shipping from canada, I can't afford to buy 4 more.

All it is, is the actuators attached to the plates. It goes up and down, nothing too fancy. As far as making it for you, I would just be attaching the actuator to the plates with a screw each, something anybody can do. The rest is mounting it inside the bumper, cutting the hole into the bumper and wiring it to the car or just with a switch, but for that I would need your car and I doubt you'll want to drive up for that, I could be wrong.

Any luck with this Alax?
I purchased an Altec kit, and was going to modify it to drop straight down, but realized it won't fit in the 5" gap behind the bumper :mad:
probaly gonna have it come out the top slot on the lower grill and flip up

Dude, it's all about revenue. You'll find states with red light cameras (probably photo radar too) also require the front plate. They need a picture of you and the plate at the same time. We have those dastardly things here, but they take a picture of the front and back now due to some lawsuit. There was a time when not having a front plate cost the same as running a red light instead of just a fix-it ticket.

red light cameras in florida, no front plates in florida

Well I bought a second actuator to have one on each side for it to be more stable instead of just having one in the middle. I haven't installed it yet or messed around with it since I made this thread. I wanted to install everything after the turbo because they will take the bumper off and install stuff through there so I dont want my little plate gizmo being torn off right away. I want to see what room I have to play with once the turbo is in, then I'll install it.The turbo just has been delayed longer than expected so that pushes this mod back as well.

The hardest part was finding something that would work in such a small bumper opening. I had many ideas on how to make it work, but the small bumper size got rid of all of them. Also, the opening for the lse bumpers is slightly larger than the reg bumper, resulting in a slightly smaller bumper area where the plate would go inside of, so that made it a little more challenging

If you intend to do this, you'll most likely need to cut your some off your license plate from the bottom. The space inside the bumper is about 7'' but my license plate was 9'' I think. I just cut off to where the number start so it clears completely inside the bumper.

yes. and also some states have alot of cons and x-criminals in them.
as well as terrible weather and dirt roads, which dirties up the back LP. so having the front makes it easier for cops to tag ur :q:q:q:q and see whos car it is.
just something ive been told once.

A lil late on this but I like the mod it's what makes your LS yours theirs not another one out their that's exactly like yours. Oh & by the way I'm one that has been slaped with a ticket "nowadays" for no front plates. I could have used that $ on a mod & not give it away to the damn city.

Members online

No members online now.
Back