Restoring a cars interior-

Calabrio

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 38,000 RX-7 Turbo II. It spent a lot of time sitting outside and the interior has a considerable amount of fading due to the sun. The carpet, seats, and some body panels have areas that are noticeably lighter than others.

Can anyone recommend a good product to restore the color to the cloth seats, carpet, and plastic body panels? How can I exactly match the original factory colors?

As I'm writing the question, I'm realizing that if I do any one spot, I'm likely going to need to do the entire interior to make sure everything is uniform....:( At least it's a tiny car.:)

I just bought a 38,000 RX-7 Turbo II. It spent a lot of time sitting outside and the interior has a considerable amount of fading due to the sun. The carpet, seats, and some body panels have areas that are noticeably lighter than others.

Can anyone recommend a good product to restore the color to the cloth seats, carpet, and plastic body panels? How can I exactly match the original factory colors?

As I'm writing the question, I'm realizing that if I do any one spot, I'm likely going to need to do the entire interior to make sure everything is uniform....:( At least it's a tiny car.:)

Cant help with your restore but was wondering if you towed it home and how it went ?
also any :GotPics: :D

Cant help with your restore but was wondering if you towed it home and how it went ?
also any :GotPics: :D

Yeah, I towed it home from Vermont.
I didn't use my Mark VIII but instead used a Lincoln Navigator. I waited until I was on a trip to New York and then just set aside a day to drive up to Vermont and rescue the little Mazda.

The ride home was rough. Drove straight through back to Florida- and it rained the entire drive.

This afternoon I got the Mazda off the dolly, into the driveway and started to look at it. The oil filter is stuck, so far I'm unable to get it off. But about an hour ago I got it running. New battery, drained the gas tank (thankfully it had a drain plug) spark plugs, and then I replaced the fuel filter and a new fuel pump.

1003640ts2.jpg

Theirs alot of places that sell vinyl dye. That will fix plastic, carpet, and upolstry

Its going to be a fun project and a blast to drive, it looks real clean.
Trip didnt sound all that fun but towing it with a Navigator was alot better then your Mark.
I had a Plymouth that was a bear to remove the oil filter it was froze on I had to drive a screw driver through it and use that to get it to move.
Good luck with your interior you might have to recover the seats.
Ask Jamie about the dye he just changed the interior of a mark to black and dyed the dash.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=40077

I expect it will be fun. I've yet to actually drive it, but I did get it fired up last night after a moderate amount of work.

Just removed the oil filter, I had to use a nylon band and a 1/2 ratchet

Drove it around the neighborhood a bit this evening.
It's not properly registered or insured. And the tires on it are completely toasted, out of balance, and dangerous.... but I wanted to see the car moving around on it's own power.

That little thing hauls arse!! At one point I gave it a fair amount of throttle and it took off - catching me off guard. This thing will be a blast.

It has every available option, with the exception of power steering and the 1986 CD player.

after you get it road ready and tuned, youll be amazed at the pulling power it has from 80-130 with that wankel motor...:)

If all the stuff is intact try a steamer first, unless it is faded in which case you'll wanna use a dye.

SEM makes vinyl dye to match factory colors, and I have used it before with good results. I think you can get it in a rattle-can too. The only thing I would be worried about is the parts cracking. If they are sun faded, the plastic is probably pretty dried out too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back