Replacing transmission fluid

Adam Moore

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys whats the best way to replace the transmission fluid. I have the V6 not sure if its different than the v8. Thanks

take it to a shop that has a transmission vac. They'll vac it out, including what's in the torque converter, drop the pan and change the filter then fill'er back up.

Personally, that just sounds like a pan drain/filter change and refill.. And that's expensive for just that..

Dealer will flush for under 200

Personally, that just sounds like a pan drain/filter change and refill.. And that's expensive for just that..

And, the dealer will put the correct Mercon V fluid back in, not some universal crap.

AAMCO = All Automatics Must Come Out

Well.. It's hard as hell to fill it back up and you only get some of the fluid out.. A flush is proper as you will replace all of the fluid

And, the dealer will put the correct Mercon V fluid back in, not some universal crap.
There really is little difference between Mercron V and III.

OP, how many miles on the car and what year is it? I do not like the "flush" that everyone is pushing; I have had much better results by dropping the pan and replacing the filter, then draining the pan again a few hundred miles later.

Why don't you like the flush? It gets 99% of the old fluid out.. Dropping the pan gets maybe 30%..

And III is conventional and V is synthetic.. Hence why we can go 100K before it needs to be changed..

I have 152k on my 2004 V6. I was looking at it and wondered if ppl did it themselves or took it in. Id like to do whats best for the car. Id like to drive it another 50k or more if i can get it out of it.

The flush is great if you know person doing it. I watch to much "Dateline" show where they do nothing and charge you for trans flush.

Like I said, taking it in will get 99% of the fluid out.. So IMO, that is the better way

The factory service manual only gives a procedure to do a full fluid exchange (flush). They do not recommend a pan drop only change.

That stuff about not changing the fluid if it is very old is nonsense. The maintenance schedule for our transmissions calls for fluid exchanges at 150K miles.

Exactly.. I thought it was 150K for people in light duty (which is like 5% of the people) and 100K for heavy duty.. Anyway, a flush is best for this trans as Joe has said

Has anyone had their transmission flush done at the ford or lincoln dealer? if so how much does it cost on average?

Has anyone had their transmission flush done at the ford or lincoln dealer? if so how much does it cost on average?

I think you need to read good sir.. :p I think I was quoted 196 exactly

Why don't you like the flush? It gets 99% of the old fluid out.. Dropping the pan gets maybe 30%..

Properly dropping the pan can get you half of the fluid out. I do not like the flushes because most transmissions are left to long with fluid in them to begin with. So, starting from a disadvantage with a transmission that is not longer even close to 100%, any additional strain (like a flush) is unnecessary. You can get the same result dropping the pan, which has to be done to replace the filter and clean the magnet anyway, then draining the pan another time or two shortly thereafter...without the potential of forcing loose garbage through the transmission to places it would not normally go.

With the lines, cooler, and TC; your lucky, like I said, to get 30% of it out..

Not looking for an argument, just trying to prove points to my theory..

Members online

No members online now.
Back