Replacing the Front Bumper

StuartJ745

LVC Member
Reaction score
Greetings all.

A few weeks ago the wife had the car (2001 LS), hit some ice while stopping and slid into an SUV, hitting the trailer hitch. I'm in the process of getting body shop estimates for a new bumper, which range anywhere from $1100 to $1300. I'll be paying out of my own pocket for this......I have 4 teenagers on my insurance policy and the last thing I want to do is submit another claim!

I found the replacement bumper on bumpers.com. My question....how difficult is it to change the bumper? I have moderate mechanical capabilities..I'll change the oil, I do brake jobs etc. Is this something I should even attempt?

Thanks!

about 1 to 1.5 hrs to take it off if you have never taken it off before. Not too bad.

Greetings all.

A few weeks ago the wife had the car (2001 LS), hit some ice while stopping and slid into an SUV, hitting the trailer hitch. I'm in the process of getting body shop estimates for a new bumper, which range anywhere from $1100 to $1300. I'll be paying out of my own pocket for this......I have 4 teenagers on my insurance policy and the last thing I want to do is submit another claim!

I found the replacement bumper on bumpers.com. My question....how difficult is it to change the bumper? I have moderate mechanical capabilities..I'll change the oil, I do brake jobs etc. Is this something I should even attempt?

Thanks!

I feel for you and am in the same boat now too. A trailer tire blew out into my front bumper to crash mine. But, a couple weeks earlier my LS fishtailed 180 on some ice and then proceeded backwards directly into an oncoming SUV. Just before we collided the guy driving the SUV drove off the road and through 3 or 4 of our neighbors' yards. I decided that I'm not driving the LS in snow and ice anymore. I was moving at a sail's pace and know that I didn't brake or jerk the steering wheel, the LS just started off spinning from the rear passenger side and on around.

Its not hard, but get in touch with one of the sponsor dealers in the ad column on the right side. They can get you some pretty good rates on Ford OEM parts.

The hardest part will be paying for the paint. Ken at LSKoncepts has a write-up on how to remove the bumper. Doesn't take more than a half hour. His username here is GrayGhost1, send him a PM and he can hook you up with a link.

Members online

Back