Replacing rear deck speakers.

TomServo92

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My '02 LS has the Alpine system and one of the rear deck speakers has starting crackling. Can someone give me a little help on how to remove the rear deck? A search of the forum came up empty.

If you look under the sub box, you will see 6 holes that will have the bolts that have to be removed to drop the whole box down. When you are on you back doing this it will be heavy. I took it out myself to change the speaker about a month ago and had to have my son help to put it back in.

If you look under the sub box, you will see 6 holes that will have the bolts that have to be removed to drop the whole box down. When you are on you back doing this it will be heavy. I took it out myself to change the speaker about a month ago and had to have my son help to put it back in.

I don't have a sub box. I have two 6X9 or 6X8 speakers mounted in the rear deck.

Sorry, I have not seen that. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

itsnotmydaddys (another thread) said:
Removing the rear speaker pan: lay down in the trunk (itll be tight) get a socker wrench with and extention on it (not sure the size, did it a long time ago) youll find holes (roughly 7-8) and theres gonna be nuts in them unscrew them and the tray should fall on you . then youll have the tray out and you should be able to get to and look at whatever your wanting. hope this helps a little

Search does a little..

I don't have a sub box. I have two 6X9 or 6X8 speakers mounted in the rear deck.
...which are subs. They're not full-range speakers unless someone replaced them, in which case all bets are off. You'll want to take that into consideration when replacing them.

...which are subs. They're not full-range speakers unless someone replaced them, in which case all bets are off. You'll want to take that into consideration when replacing them.

Yeah, I know they're subs. My first step was to figure how to get to them before I took the next step of buying replacements.

1.Remove your "C" pillars
2. Drop your rear seats and remove all the plastic trim pieces that hold the rear carpeting on.
3. Remove the rear bolsters by using a screw driver to push the little plastic release lever near the upper inside portion of the bolster.
4. You may need to remove the rear stop light housing (I forget if I had too or not)
5. Slide the rear carpeting out
6. Take off the rubbery foamy layer that lays on the rear deck
7. Remove the four screws that hold in the bad speaker
8. Once you have all this pulled it is a good time to dynomat that rear deck, cover it totally, it made a difference in my 02 with Apline and my 06 with THX.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone know of speakers that will work there? I went to crutchfield and all 6x9's are just speakers. What are they even called? I search 6x9 subs and nothing?

1.Remove your "C" pillars
2. Drop your rear seats and remove all the plastic trim pieces that hold the rear carpeting on.
3. Remove the rear bolsters by using a screw driver to push the little plastic release lever near the upper inside portion of the bolster.
4. You may need to remove the rear stop light housing (I forget if I had too or not)
5. Slide the rear carpeting out
6. Take off the rubbery foamy layer that lays on the rear deck
7. Remove the four screws that hold in the bad speaker
8. Once you have all this pulled it is a good time to dynomat that rear deck, cover it totally, it made a difference in my 02 with Apline and my 06 with THX.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I do have a couple of questions:

On #2 - Do you mean fold the rear seats down? If so, only the driver's side rear seat folds down on mine. I assume the other side will need to be unbolted somehow.

On #3 - I know what "bolster" means but I'm not sure what your are referring to in the back of the LS. Could you be more specific?

I would suggest looking for some 6x9 subs before taking your old ones out. I just spent over an hour (because I was also interested in putting in some better 6x9's in the rear deck) and from what I understand they are pretty damn hard to find. Kicker used to make a 6x9 sub but that was about 8 years ago. Everything seems to be a full range speaker...

Edit:
I continued my search and found this site:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=380735

which led me to the cdt-cl69...
http://store.mmxpress.com/index.php...&x=Cl69_CDT_Audio_6x9_200_Watts_Mid_subwoofer

OR
http://cgi.ebay.com/CL-69-CDT-AUDIO...Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item1e5cd3442d

Thoughts if these will fit factory mounts/run off the factory amp?

I would suggest looking for some 6x9 subs before taking your old ones out. I just spent over an hour (because I was also interested in putting in some better 6x9's in the rear deck) and from what I understand they are pretty damn hard to find. Kicker used to make a 6x9 sub but that was about 8 years ago. Everything seems to be a full range speaker...

You misunderstood me. I want to know how to get them out before I buy new ones. I'm not actually taking them out until I have replacements in hand.

If you go back to that previous post I edited it and added links to what seem to be good 6x9 subs...I plan to replace my rear subs very shortly also so those are what I'll probably go with.

If you go back to that previous post I edited it and added links to what seem to be good 6x9 subs...I plan to replace my rear subs very shortly also so those are what I'll probably go with.

Thanks for the link. That's a little more than I wanted to spend though. I wonder what would happen if I put in some 2-way speakers? My assumption is that there is a cutover that would make the tweeters useless but beyond that?

For #2 Yes, drop both rear seats down. There should be levers in the trunk for either side. They both drop down.

For #3 The bolster is the cushion on the left and right of the rear seatbacks that doesn't drop with the seats. Once you have both seats dropped the cushion on the seat back along the door jam.
Basically in the rear you have the cushion bench you sit on, two seat backs that fold down and the only thing left is the bolster.

For #2 Yes, drop both rear seats down. There should be levers in the trunk for either side. They both drop down.

For #3 The bolster is the cushion on the left and right of the rear seatbacks that doesn't drop with the seats. Once you have both seats dropped the cushion on the seat back along the door jam.
Basically in the rear you have the cushion bench you sit on, two seat backs that fold down and the only thing left is the bolster.

Only the drivers-side rear seat folds down in mine. There is NO lever on the passenger side in the trunk.

Only the drivers-side rear seat folds down in mine. There is NO lever on the passenger side in the trunk.
There should be. Unfortunately, if there isn't, you'll have to disassemble the tray holding the amp, etc, under the package tray to get to the release mechanism for the latch.

There should be. Unfortunately, if there isn't, you'll have to disassemble the tray holding the amp, etc, under the package tray to get to the release mechanism for the latch.

Found it! It was behind the trunk inner liner. The previous owner must have done some kind of work in the trunk and left it there when it was reassembled. NOW I can how the tray comes out.

Thanks for all the help!

Could someone tell me how the oem subs on the ls sound? Are they better or less than average?

Members online

No members online now.
Back