Replacing Power Steering Pump

svtman

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm sure somebody has done this before. I did a quick search but haven't found anything other than a few pics. I've got a 2006 LS V8 and from what I can see I'll have to drop the A/C compressor to get the pump out. Any other tools I'll need or advice?

Thanks!

Well, I got it done. That was not fun to say the least. Considering I started at 9am and have it all buttoned up and road tested, Im pretty happy with 4.5 hrs considering I thought it would take me all day!

Read thru the walkthrough and was wondering, what is the special tool used to connect the new teflon seal?

I didn't bother changing my teflon seal out. I figured if it leaked it would not be that hard to change out after the fact. And it did not leak, so it worked for me.

How can you tell if it's the steering wheel pump. I checked mine and I have a lot of play. Any insight? There is no winding noise etc..

How can you tell if it's the steering wheel pump. I checked mine and I have a lot of play. Any insight? There is no winding noise etc..

Play in the steering will not be an issue with the power steering pump.

This car is haunted! Today when I woke up, started the car and the steering was stiff like before. Drove to my sister's house and after I left the steering wheel was back to normal.
Her house is on an incline..could this have helped the situation..It was raining pretty hard this morning.

Joe: There was serious play in the steering pump not the wheel. The steering wheel was so stiff I was fighting it every slight turn. The pump itself was very loose when I spun it. My neighbour who is somewhat a self mechanic said that you couldn't hear the pump working..

This car is haunted! Today when I woke up, started the car and the steering was stiff like before. Drove to my sister's house and after I left the steering wheel was back to normal.
Her house is on an incline..could this have helped the situation..It was raining pretty hard this morning.

Joe: There was serious play in the steering pump not the wheel. The steering wheel was so stiff I was fighting it every slight turn. The pump itself was very loose when I spun it. My neighbour who is somewhat a self mechanic said that you couldn't hear the pump working..

In that case, the pump probably is defective. Check the screen at the bottom of the reservoir to make sure that it is not clogged. If it is, that could have ruined the pump.

Members online

Back