Replacing power steering pressure hose

anthonyspare

LVC Member
Reaction score
So im trying to replace the power steering pressure hose on my 2004 v8 LS that is leaking and it just recently started even spraying on the belt beside the pump causing the worst squealing noise ever. Ive disconnecting the hose on the rack side but cannot disconnect the hose from the pump side. Any help anyone?

I've also been trying to use a crows foot wrench to remove the pressure hose at the pump but cant get it to budge at all.

Pita

Some of those hoses are jack hammered on there. You may have to remove the pump to use a impact wrench on the nut to remove it. That's what I had to do. Just cut the hose off.

Last edited:
So is it really as simple as taking off the old hose, putting the new one on, and filling it with fluid? Please tell me its as simple as it sounds. Everything is just so damn cramped under the hood.

When I work on old (meaning frozen on or darn tight) tube nuts on the end of hoses. I just cut off the hose right below the tube nut thats tightened into the pump. Now with hose gone you can get a socket on it for full grip. Crowsfeet nice but still slip off really tight things.

Finally got a local mechanic to put the new hose on. Got it home and everything is fine, but now im getting a horrible squeak that sounds like its coming from the belt because it the chirp/squeak gets faster with acceleration. any ideas?

Finally got a local mechanic to put the new hose on. Got it home and everything is fine, but now im getting a horrible squeak that sounds like its coming from the belt because it the chirp/squeak gets faster with acceleration. any ideas?

I'd check to see if the power steering pump was reinstalled correctly. Any pulley misalignment (or damage) will cause belt chirp.

I can see one part of the belt "shaking" just from the cramped view looking under the hood. Im guessing this is the cause of the chirp/squeal. Ive heard that belt dressing is a "band-aid" but what am I looking to replace in the long run?

I can see one part of the belt "shaking" just from the cramped view looking under the hood. Im guessing this is the cause of the chirp/squeal. Ive heard that belt dressing is a "band-aid" but what am I looking to replace in the long run?

You need to find out what's wrong before you can replace it.

An obvious suspect is that they damaged the power steering pump pulley or they didn't bolt the pump back in exactly right. (I am assuming that they removed it to get the hose off.)

Another obvious suspect is the belt tensioner. They had to pull if back to get the belt off and back on. They could have damaged it, or it could be that it was worn and marginal and the stress of being pulled back killed it. Alternately, if they put a new belt in, it could be too long.

Of course, any of the other belt driven components could be at fault. They could have been damaged by someone working in there. You are going to have to get a good view of each pulley as it is running to see what is going on.

Lastly, there have been a few cases of the crankshaft damper pulley becoming defective. Look straight down at it while the engine is running and see if it is wobbling.

Members online

Back