Replacing factor 6 CD Changer in 2004 Lincoln LS

DUVALINCOLN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

I was in the process of replacing my 6 cd changer after the cd's have become jammed. I have noticed after taking out the changer there are 4 plug-in but most of the wire harness for the Lincoln LS on ebay only have two plugs. Am I missing something??

Good evening,

I was in the process of replacing my 6 cd changer after the cd's have become jammed. I have noticed after taking out the changer there are 4 plug-in but most of the wire harness for the Lincoln LS on ebay only have two plugs. Am I missing something??

There are three different CD-6 Head Units: Alpine branded, SoundMark branded, and unbranded. Rule of thumb here: they are not interchangeable even though they look alike. Purchase the exact same Head Unit you are replacing.

If you are replacing the CD Changer found in the glove box, use the part number on it for search purposes.

DSCF6156.jpgDSCF6157.jpgDSCF6158.jpg

I have the SoundMark Band so this cannot be replaced with an aftermarket stereo system? I the pics these are the four wires from the back of the factory stereo. I want to replace the factory would the Kenwood stereo...is it possible to do?? Thank you.

DSCF6156.jpg

DSCF6157.jpg

DSCF6158.jpg

Last edited:
There are three different CD-6 Head Units: Alpine branded, SoundMark branded, and unbranded. Rule of thumb here: they are not interchangeable even though they look alike. Purchase the exact same Head Unit you are replacing.

If you are replacing the CD Changer found in the glove box, use the part number on it for search purposes.

Is that a rule of thumb here?!?!?

the only rule I know is swapping a poor factory unit for another is frowned on, going aftermarket will get you further...

All LS (IIRC) uses the same wire harness, those plugs are for options (units) yours does not have... I dont remember for what.

two mains
steering
rear subs?!?

(someone confirm)

The factory radios are more interchangeable than has been implied, but there are limits.
All factory systems can be replaced by aftermarket. Off-the-shelf plug-n-play harness adapters exist for all with the exception of the THX navigation systems. (These can be replaced by aftermarket too, but there is no simple harness adapter for these.)

Anyway, there are two different wiring schemes. One for gen I (2000-2002) and some of the 2003 gen IIs. The other style is for gen II (2003-2006), but some 2003s are an exception to this.

DUVALINCOLN needs the gen II adapters, and his picture shows the gen II connectors.

Sure, changing the Head Unit for an aftermarket unit is always an option.

Sure, changing the Head Unit for an aftermarket unit is always an option. What the OP is missing here is that the Head Unit and the HVAC Control Unit are separate; they both are mounted to the same bracket but that is all. Two of those plugs are for the Audio, two are for the HVAC.

I don't even know why I am responding to this.
Yes, the DATC and the radio are separate, they just mount to the same bracket.
Yes, the DATC has two connectors.
No, none of the connectors shown in the picture are for the DATC. Those four connectors (plus the antenna connector) are all for the radio that he has.

I don't even know why I am responding to this.
Yes, the DATC and the radio are separate, they just mount to the same bracket.
Yes, the DATC has two connectors.
No, none of the connectors shown in the picture are for the DATC. Those four connectors (plus the antenna connector) are all for the radio that he has.

My bad. Haven't had coffee yet.

I posted some time ago that I was curious if the CD Changer component (which can be removed from the HU) was generic to all models of the CD-6 Head Unit's but never got a response.

All great information. I was able to order a wiring harness offline and it only came with parts like most of the ones I have found online for the 204 Lincoln Ls. My question is what are the two remaining wires for and are they needed? ThanksDSCF6159.jpg

DSCF6159.jpg

All great information. I was able to order a wiring harness offline and it only came with parts like most of the ones I have found online for the 204 Lincoln Ls. My question is what are the two remaining wires for and are they needed? Thanks...

The big connector is power and speakers. The 8-pin one is the subs and center channel. The other two have connections for the CAN bus (this is how it knows what display brightness to use and when the door is opened), the Ford data bus, phone integration, satellite radio, and so on.

"phone integration" ~ I was waiting for that one to be called out!
The communications device (special factory order) the LS never had but threw a button on the steering wheel anyhow.

... The communications device (special factory order) the LS never had but threw a button on the steering wheel anyhow.

Not true. Some did have it. It included a built-in car phone.
It also made it possible to add aftermarket BlueTooth phone support to the factory radios. (The radio would display "phone", it would pause the CD (if playing), and would amplify the receive audio through the speakers. The voice button was still only useful with the factory phone.)

It also made it possible to add aftermarket BlueTooth phone support to the factory radios. (The radio would display "phone", it would pause the CD (if playing), and would amplify the receive audio through the speakers. The voice button was still only useful with the factory phone.)

My 2002 has an integrated factory (Sprint) Cell Phone. Even branded as Lincoln. It's in the Console and swings upward. I haven't activated it as I already have two cell phones and really don't need a third.

Phone.jpg

Phone.jpg

my 00 had a center console phone jack (or coax cable...i cant remember) inside... nothing else, but much different shape then my 02 on the inside.

Great info. so since I have wire connectors for the two main factor stereo connectors, do I need to find connectors for the remaining two orange ones shown in the middle as seen in the last picture???

Great info. so since I have wire connectors for the two main factor stereo connectors, do I need to find connectors for the remaining two orange ones shown in the middle as seen in the last picture???

Nope. They wouldn't do anything at all for an aftermarket unit. Just tape over the ends and poke them out of the way.

You are ALL AWESOME!!! Every month I found new ways to bring this old car back to life. Thanks!

Your 100% sure it wasn't a special order option?

Your 100% sure it wasn't a special order option?

I never said that it was or wasn't, only that LSes with phone integration did/do exist as opposed to your claim that it never happened.

I just reread my statement. I meant to convey that it had a button on the steering wheel for it but no actual cellphone included unless ordered as an option.

-MUTE-

Members online

No members online now.
Back