Replacing EGR Valve '97 Lincoln Mark VIII

Tricky-Dick

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
A little history...

My mom has always wanted a Mark VIII. I found her a '97 Model with 8,776 Original Miles...yes 8,776!

The car is Ivory Pearlescent CC Metallic (Code HA) with Ivory (Code ZQ) Interior.

She has owned it for approximately 4 Months and at this time it has 12,312 on the odometer...pictures to come shortly. :)

I drive an '03 LS-8 which as of this December I have owned for 2 Years. Found it with 8,734 Miles and currently has 43,... My wife drives an '04 Aviator which we have owned for 2 years as well as of December with 75,... (purchased with 27,...

Back to the "Mark" - I hooked up my scanner and even though it is "pre-2000" I was able to pull a code: P0402.

From my research this is an EGR Valve issue.

The only thing I have not yet been able to find is a "how to" in regards to replacement.

Yes, I have already done a search on the site and "Yahooed" it as well.

If any of you guys or gals wouldn't mind chiming in, it would be very much appreciated.

Its one of those things that if you LOOKED at it first you would not have to ask. Now on a Gen 1... ouch...

Dealer said it was on the rear of the intake?

Estimated cost at dealer with parts / labor...$200.00 - $300.00!

Borg Warner Lifetime Warantee $64.00...labor Free. :)

Thanks to you all for the quick response!

Greatly appreciated.

The whole tube needs to come off right. Topher makes it sound like its not needed to unbolt from the manifold. I guess I could look at mine in the shed. One repair I will NOT be doing.

ford has a TSB out for any egr codes to replace the DPFE sensor first. its a sensor that monitors exhaust flow to see if the egr is opening, and a small amount of exhaust flows through the sensor causing corrosion the valve itself rarely fails, also make sure the rubber hoses from the egr tube to the dpfe sensor arnt broken etc

Members online

No members online now.
Back