Replacing clockspring on 2000 lincoln ls

Trrrex92

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just bought a used clockspring but it still has the wiper handle assembly attached, how do I remove it?
Also if anyone has a writeup on replacing a clockspring, please share!
Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I just bought a used clockspring but it still has the wiper handle assembly attached, how do I remove it?
Also if anyone has a writeup on replacing a clockspring, please share!
Thanks!

There are 3 clips (or tabs) that you push out to release the clockspring from the multi-switch.
Make sure you have it centered first otherwise you're going to break it. Those 4 slots in the clockspring used to hold the tab that locks it centered when new.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=350967971707669&set=pcb.350968121707654&type=1&theater

Thanks lincolnelite! I got off.
To center the clockspring, in theory, I should be able to turn it one way til it stops then spin it the other way til it stops and count the rotations. Thn just just half the rotations to center, right?

I bought it off a car that no longer tab, guy was parting out his wife's car. It should be fine.

Thanks lincolnelite! I got off.
To center the clockspring, in theory, I should be able to turn it one way til it stops then spin it the other way til it stops and count the rotations. Thn just just half the rotations to center, right?

I bought it off a car that no longer tab, guy was parting out his wife's car. It should be fine.

I think it's somewhere between 2 1/2 - 3 turns, the 4 holes should be at 3 o'clock if you're facing the clockspring with the connector at the bottom.

While turning the rotor counterclockwise, carefully feel for the ribbon wire to run out of length and feel for a slight resistance. Stop turning at this point.

Turn the clockspring clockwise approximately 2-1/2 turns. This is the center point of the clockspring.

I blew $25 on used CS a few weeks ago only to get the same airbag code as before. Bought a new one and all is fine. Did you at least measure the resistance between the airbag connector terminals?

No I didn't. Unjust know my steering wheel controls don't work and my airbag light is on. I'm waiting to get the tools I need to replace it now.

Members online

Back