replacing ball joints

ProfKenn

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone replaced ball joints before? I have a 96 w/90k miles that I believe needs the ball joints changed b/c there is a clunk in the front end. I've already changed the sway bar links--they were really bad.

I started last night trying to get the cv axle out of the spindle, but just couldn't get it out of there. Do I have to release the pinch bolt on the strut? Any suggestions or step by step instructions on how to separate the cv axle from the spindle? Any help would be appreciated. The Chilton manual is worthless. :mad:

Thanks in advance!

ProfKenn

alright you lower balljoint comes as a control arm i am assuming you got the balljoint free from the spindle but you can't do nothing cause the axle in the way.you could unbolt the spindle from the strut it makes for alot more room just be careful of the height sensor.good luck.also i have the factory manual let me know if you want me to email you the page.

ball joints anyone?

Actually, no, my ball joint presses into the bottom of the wheel hub and the bolt fits into the lower control arm. I think I figured out that I have to loosen the pinch bolt from around where the strut sets in the hub. I guess I'll wait until I get the spring conversion kit and do everything at once.

I'd appreciate any pages you can email me!:)

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.
Back