Replacement parts for ac system

kingofmy_h

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I need a new compressor, condenser, drier and expansion valve. Should I buy used from ebay or new from aftermarket sites? How much should i expect to pay for labor? Thanks.

Buy new. You never know why the part was pull in the first place, or even of it was pulled in working condition. Labor rates vary from state to state, and I'm not too familiar with this A/C system yet.

A whole lot. The dash has to come apart to change out the expansion valve.

Ah hell!! No wonder Firestone quoted me nearly $700 to remove and replace the expansion valve... I've had my ls since 05 but I think it's time to move on.

Ah hell!! No wonder Firestone quoted me nearly $700 to remove and replace the expansion valve... I've had my ls since 05 but I think it's time to move on.

I don't think that I would let Firestone do that job. If they knew what they were doing, they would have quoted higher than that.

How does Firestone know the evaporator is bad or are they guessing and throwing parts at it? I would take it to Ford and pay the $100 and have it diagnosed properly.

How does Firestone know the evaporator is bad or are they guessing and throwing parts at it? I would take it to Ford and pay the $100 and have it diagnosed properly.

Expansion valve replacement is pretty typical whenever it's suspected that debris has circulated through the system.

I see condenser in the list, but not the evaporator.

I do suspect they are throwing parts at it, and I doubt from their labor quote that they realize that the dash has to come out to change the expansion valve.

A dealer may be able to flush the system well enough that only the drier and the compressor would have to be replaced. I wonder if the condenser has a hole in it due to a rock hit? Otherwise I don't see why they want to replace it, but not replace the evaporator.

I decided that I will do the job myself. I am only replacing the compressor, drier and condenser. Is this what I have to do:

1. Take it to the shop so they can recover the refrigerant
2. Replace the parts
3. Once all parts are back on, take it to have it flushed
4. Add refrigerant.

It looks like a easy job but is it? Any advice/tips?

I decided that I will do the job myself. I am only replacing the compressor, drier and condenser. Is this what I have to do:

1. Take it to the shop so they can recover the refrigerant
2. Replace the parts
3. Once all parts are back on, take it to have it flushed
4. Add refrigerant.

It looks like a easy job but is it? Any advice/tips?

3.5 Pull strong vacuum on system and let sit for at least an hour.

3.6 Add compressor oil.

Also, make sure you don't plug in the clutch connector until after the compressor oil is added.

Thanks joegr. Im looking for the parts right now and will tackle this job next week when i have an off day.

Note that new compressors may or may not come with oil in them. Read the packaging carefully.

You're a better man than me if you take R143a to be recovered.

...You're a better man than me if you take R143a to be recovered.

So, we had to switch to R134 because R12 was bad for the environment.
(It became really bad when the patent expired.)
Still, we are not allowed to discharge R134 into the environment either, but it leaking out is apparently okay.
Somehow, the logic isn't clear to me here...

I'm changing the compressor on my LS, and I ran into one problem, getting the top right bolt off. I have two questions what size is the bolt after you take off the line and is there a special way to get to the it. thanks for your help.

I'm changing the compressor on my LS, and I ran into one problem, getting the top right bolt off. I have two questions what size is the bolt after you take off the line and is there a special way to get to the it. thanks for your help.

What year is your LS?
V6 or V8?

Members online

No members online now.
Back