Replaced my clockspring. No Problems

mharrison

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've had the airbag light and screwy steering wheel controls for a while. This week I finally replaced the clockspring in my '01 V6. I'd have to say, except for a few hard to get to electrical clips, it was a piece of cake. The clips weren't even that bad.

I didn't even have to use a puller. I just unbolted the center bolt all the way, screwed it back in about 3 turns and yanked on the wheel. On the 3rd or 4th try it popped right off. (Note, putting the center bolt back in before yanking on the wheel is a mechanics tip to keep from giving yourself a bloody nose when pulling a steering wheel! ;)

Anyway, I just wanted to post up that this was an easy job so maybe others wouldn't be hesitant to attempt it.

How much is the dealership rate to change the clockspring?? I need to replace mine but have a lot going on right now and just don't have the time. Just curious to see what the dealership labor charges are...

How much is the dealership rate to change the clockspring?? I need to replace mine but have a lot going on right now and just don't have the time. Just curious to see what the dealership labor charges are...

It's a simple swap. There's a tech article on pulling apart the steering wheel on LSKoncepts.com. I seriously wouldn't waste the money if I were you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back