Replaced EGR Valve and Fuel Pressure Sensor, now car barely runs

rcvxl14

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, haven't posted on here in a long time. But unfortunately I'm having some issues.

Car: 2006 Lincoln LS V8

I have had the P0108 code (bad EGR) for the past year or 2 and have just driven it regardless since it ran fine anyways. Then I moved to Wisconsin and I am now required to pass an emissions test which they will not even perform if I have a CEL. So I bought the OEM Motorcraft EGR valve and when I was taking the old one out, I pulled a rookie move and snapped the spigot off of the nearby fuel pressure sensor. So I ordered up the cheapest non-OEM fuel pressure sensor on eBay I could find and threw it in there too. I finished the job last night, started it up and took a half hour drive and she ran better than ever. The slight shake at idle that I had grown used to was gone. I cleared the CEL before I left and it never came on once during the drive.

Today I drove to work and even came home for lunch and it was still running perfectly. However, after work today I started it up and it didn't fire up like it usually did. I cranked it again and it stumbled a bit and started idling, but the roughest I've ever heard it idle with RPM fluctuating between 400-700. I barely made it home without the car dying (I live 4 minutes away from work). Here is a video of the idle when I got home: today:

My initial thought is that I bought a junk fuel pressure sensor and it has already failed, hence the engine running fine for the first hour of operation. Keep in mind that despite a bad coil, this engine has run strong for the 40,000 miles I've put on it. In my opinion, it would be way too big of a coincidence for the issue to be unrelated to the EGR valve or fuel pressure sensor. Anybody have any other input on what may be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that the car was smoking and reeked of fuel that I could smell even from inside the cabin.

Last edited:
Well, it could well be the aftermarket fuel pressure sensor. Do you have a scan tool to look at the readings?
Another good suspect is that four-ended vacuum tube assembly. Those crack if you look at them wrong, and it can be hard to see the cracks. Disconnect it and see if one of the ends falls off or there is a crack in the middle. No vacuum to the fuel pressure sensor would cause a rich mixture.

Well, it could well be the aftermarket fuel pressure sensor. Do you have a scan tool to look at the readings?
Another good suspect is that four-ended vacuum tube assembly. Those crack if you look at them wrong, and it can be hard to see the cracks. Disconnect it and see if one of the ends falls off or there is a crack in the middle. No vacuum to the fuel pressure sensor would cause a rich mixture.

Yes, I plugged in my scan tool and no codes were showing up. And do you mean disconnect the vacuum tube assembly at the throttle body end?

Yes, I plugged in my scan tool and no codes were showing up. And do you mean disconnect the vacuum tube assembly at the throttle body end?

No, not to check for codes, but instead monitor the fuel pressure reading as the engine is running.
I mean disconnect it at the fuel pressure sensor, the two connections to the EGR, and at the throttle body adapter.

No, not to check for codes, but instead monitor the fuel pressure reading as the engine is running.
I mean disconnect it at the fuel pressure sensor, the two connections to the EGR, and at the throttle body adapter.

Gotcha. I already ordered a new fuel pressure sensor from Autozone last night and it will be here today, so I will update this thread tonight with the results. If it doesn't fix it, I will definitely try monitoring the fuel pressure reading with my scanner.

Side note: do you think it's likely that I fouled all my plugs from dumping all of that fuel into the cylinders?

...Side note: do you think it's likely that I fouled all my plugs from dumping all of that fuel into the cylinders?

I wouldn't think so, but I guess anything is possible. I'd be a little worried about the possibility of washing the rings down, but there isn't anything you can do about that, so it is pointless to worry about it.

Well I threw in the new fuel pressure sensor from Autozone and now she runs like a champ again. Only drove it for about 40 minutes though so I'll put some more time on it and update the thread if anything goes wrong again. Moral of the story: don't buy cheapo sensors off eBay.

Well I threw in the new fuel pressure sensor from Autozone and now she runs like a champ again. Only drove it for about 40 minutes though so I'll put some more time on it and update the thread if anything goes wrong again. Moral of the story: don't buy cheapo sensors off eBay.
which sensor did you buy off of ebay? I want to make sure to steer clear of them!!!

which sensor did you buy off of ebay? I want to make sure to steer clear of them!!!

The eBay store that sold me the sensor is ivoksensor0518. I believe the sensor itself is unbranded (big surprise there). For what it's worth, I contacted the seller (ivoksensore0518) after it failed and they gave me a full refund within 15 minutes with no questions asked.

For those that are wondering, the sensor I bought from Autozone is still working perfectly and the car hasn't had any problems since.

Members online

No members online now.
Back