Replaced CV axle - Still Clicking?

ZacUnknown69

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So, as everyone suggested - the clicking upon a full rotation of my tire was a CV axle. I narrowed the clicking down to the rear drivers side, I purchased a CV axle and replaced it no more than an hour ago. The clicking disappeared for the first 20 miles, then out of nowhere it was back! as well as a new jiggling sound from what could be the CV axle itself, control arm, or whatever. But! That clicking is SO damn annoying, I assume it may be a wheel bearing? I have no idea, but it's still the drivers side rear. Throw some ideas at me, please? Thanks, y'all!

Is the wheel bearing loose?
I've personally have never seen a bad cv on a mark.
I have seen a couple bent half shafts thhough.
Is your dust shield hitting anything or is it cracked.
Is your inside brake pad put in correctly ?
E-brake cable ok?

Is the wheel bearing loose?
I've personally have never seen a bad cv on a mark.
I have seen a couple bent half shafts thhough.
Is your dust shield hitting anything or is it cracked.
Is your inside brake pad put in correctly ?
E-brake cable ok?

As far as I'm aware everything was put back on correctly..

I chased a clicking on mine for a while. I have factory snowflakes on it, and it was the center cap on the wheel moving due to the retaining clips being bent.

If that's all that it is on mine, I am going to be so angry.

Same here, except happened on a front tire. The coating on the wheel was flaking and causing the center cap to shimmy around and make a clicking noise. Took forever to figure that out. Scrubbed off the flaking material and rebent the clips and that was the end of that.

Same here, except happened on a front tire. The coating on the wheel was flaking and causing the center cap to shimmy around and make a clicking noise. Took forever to figure that out. Scrubbed off the flaking material and rebent the clips and that was the end of that.

I spent over $120 replacing the CV, plus renting parts, snd hours of frustration. And I tried what you suggested and it was exactly that. Damn, well - now I have a new shiney CV. But here's one for ya' - everytime I go over a bump something rattles on the rear drivers side. When I use the brakes upon rolling over a bump, the rattle disappears. Any ideas? Anyone?

I chased a clicking on mine for a while. I have factory snowflakes on it, and it was the center cap on the wheel moving due to the retaining clips being bent.

So, just for the hell of it. I have what you said a try - and it was exactly that. I spent so much time and money trying to find out what the problem was. My goodness, thank you for the suggestion though. But what are the odds it was something that simple? Fuuuck.

Most likely Upper shock mount
Maybe stabilizer bar or links

Even though it was 103ºF today, I decided to find out what that bloody noise was. It was a misaligned brake pad - I straightened 'em out and the noise went away. Thanks for the suggestions anyhow, man!

Hmm, I've been hearing an odd clicking while coasting as well. I do remember the tabs on one of the center caps for my 20 spokes were bent up, makes perfect sense.

Members online

No members online now.
Back