Replaced coils but now the rough idle is worse.

1MiC

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so i've been having rough idle/misfires, also CEL which i knew was my coils. I replaced all 8 coils on wed (2/20). No oil leaking in, and spark plugs (which were replaced 10k miles ago, i'm at 103k currently) still looked good and were set to 1mm gap.

Now I've read about driving with bad coils however i was waiting for my income tax for the money, so i may have put about 500-750 miles on my car since i started getting a CEL. I went to check the codes today and i got P0353, which i read was a bad coil, and p0133 on bank 1, which i read was the drivers side 02 sensor. That code he said popped up twice, i guess that means both sensors? He told me if i disconnect my battery the coil code will probably go away, and i guess ill buy some 02 sensors to replace driver side.

My real problem however is a very rough idle while in gear, specifically reverse. I can feel it in P and D, but not as bad as when i put it in reverse. It also increased a significant amount after i had the COPS changed. Any idea what might be causing it? I asked my mechanic about possible a vacuum leak but he said i'd be able to hear it. The only thing i can hear is a whistle from the intake while it's in reverse, it kind of sputters and makes a whistle sound every couple of seconds.

Hopefully i gave enough info, Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What brand COPs did you use. Some may be bad out of the box.
Are you sure that all the connectors are in good shape and snapped in all the way.
10K miles is more than enough for a bad COP to have killed the spark plug. Unless you have magic eyes, you can't just look at them and be sure they are good.
Driving for a while with bad COPs can cause PCM damage and that could be your problem now.

The mixture code may not be a bad O2 sensor. It may be a good O2 sensor doing its job and telling you that your mixture is bad since you have one of more cylinders not firing.

Hey joegr, thanks for the response.

I bought motorcraft, I didn't want to go with anything aftermarket. I'll double check the connections in the morning. I had read to make sure they're snapped in all the way, although i didn't check after they were installed, i'm hoping my mechanic wouldn't have let that slide. I personally wouldn't know the difference between a good spark plug and bad spark plug, i'm going off the word of my mechanic.

I really feel it couldn't have been more then about 500 miles since i've started feeling any of the symptoms related to failing coils. I was actually quite paranoid about them from reading around here a lot. As soon as i felt some of the symptoms i read about i drove my car as minimally as possible. If it is PCM damage how could i check for that?

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=72863
i just watched the video in this thread, it makes me really wonder if the connectors aren't in correctly. Like i said at idle there is definitely more vibration. It's noticeably rougher through about 1.5k rpm's.

Well just to clarify the problem was just the connection not being plugged in completely. It was such a great feeling to drive home and have a smooth ride once again lol.

Members online

No members online now.
Back