replace lifters or not?

87TTOPGT420

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Thinking of replacing lifters as i have the "tick" on a mark viii I'm working on...definetly on bank 2 (drivers side)...can get all 32 for around $250 new and oem

Is this worth attempting? Or am I just wasting my time and it will tick after I'm done....also should I just do the drivers side because I know all the noise is coming from that side or do both sides? Anything I need to know about new lifters before installing? Also I'm not pulling cams gonna do the screwdriver methed to remove follower also engine has a tick under 100, 000miles

Also I think if I do it I'm gonna drop the assembly out on floor...seeings the extra time I spend doing it In car is more then it will take me drop engine assembly out plus I have access to a hoist and all the stuff at my work

Honestly I can live with the tick my 2nd gen 1 had the tick...beat on that car everyday for a year sold it after 40, 000miles of hard driving and bought back about a year later to part out and the tick was gone...buddy claimed he always used synthetic 10w30 oil...maybe I should try a higher end oil then what we use in the tank at work 10w30 bulb pennzoil

Or try the correct oil, 5W-20. 5W-30 is what the owners manual called for, but a TSB said to switch to 5W-20. You may also want to try adding Seafoam before the next oil change, it may free up the lifter. If one is noisy though, other may be stuck or sticking and just not causing noise.

And yes I know the theory behind synths being thinner. Not really true.

Why not 20? If you were in hot climates, I would understand. But 30 was found to cause slight problems in the very, very tight tolerance engines. Hence the shift to 20 under the guise of improved economy.

I've heard many noisy 3v mod engines and simply going away from 5w20 cured the noise...I find the 20 is just to thin at operating temperture almost like diesel

But this isn't a oil argument...in 98 5w30 was what they used and has worked well...and in agree maybe the 10w30 is the issue as sometimes is does go away for a few moments at a time

Did a half bottle of seafoam today and tick is 90% gone now

Gonna run a few miles and change oil with 5w30 amsoil synthetic and see what happens

i just switched the Motorcraft 5W20. and so far so good.
cold start chain slap is minimal to none so far...

The point is to get the oil flowing through the engine quicker upon startup. Your greatest wear is at startup, especially when its cold. The oil don't sling off the crank as easily and that is what lubes the cylinders and pistons. It doesn't take much to lube the engine once its warmed up. I drove 82 miles in a Ford Ranger with the 4.0, with 32,000 miles on it, and no oil in it. I drained it out before I left with it, so the engine would blow up. It never did, just ticked. I was doing this because the engine had a noise before that was so slight, the guy at the dealer said they may never find it. But if the engine locked up, Ford would replace the engine. So he told me to go out in the morning and drain the oil into a clean container and put it in the bed, to take with me. Next he said put the drain plug back in and go. It will either spin a bearing or lock up. He said when either happens, pull over, put the oil back in and call the 800 number. I put 82 miles on it with no oil what so ever in it, it would never lock up or knock. Its unreal and if it had not happened to me I would tell anyone telling that story, they are a liar, lol. Sooooo, 5w-20 is ok. They figured after testing it was better to get that oil flowing quicker to moving parts, rather than thicker. That's why the 5w-20 will quiet the chain rattle a little bit.

hold up?

Could be oil pressure, i check that b4 i spent the money on lifters also could have worn or broken timing chain guides or tensioner it's self causing slap that sounds like a ticking noise

Rodknock95
In a 5w20 the 20 has nothing to do with start up viscosity
5 is start viscosity and 20 is running temp viscosity.
5w20 is inherently a better oil than conventional cause to make it it has to start with a better stock base oil making it semi synthetic.

Members online

No members online now.
Back