removing the transmission

Chromebrow

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well Im pulling the tranny in the parts Mark and it was going pretty good. I hate to admit it but Im having an issue getting it out:confused:
I have removed the Driveline, the 7 bolts of the bell housing, the starter, the exhaust is gone so I just removed the two bolts of the tailshaft cross member and of course the linkages and all wire harness.
The rear of the tranny lowerrs fine, but the bell housing wont come off the block.
Is there some hiddin bolts somewhere, it wont even budge or come loose a little.
The good news is the oil smelled like Merc five and it was super clean inside, heres a couple pics....

parts mark 1-7-10 008.jpg

parts mark 1-7-10 009.jpg

parts mark 1-7-10 012.jpg

Looks like a fairly clean tranny, not that I've seen many trannies in my day! I hear KK likes to mess around with trannies every now and then. Clean, dirty, it doesn't matter to him!

LOL, ya its the real clean ones that can fool ya, It all looks good until you get to the inside :eek: I hope he'd notice before it was too late.

Well to feed the 6th grade mentality of this place, can someone help me get it off.

That was an awesome little how to.
I did all that already, and the torque converter housing well not disengage from the engine block.
The only thing I didnt do was turning the crank to get at other bolts, what was that about. I have never had to do this step to remove a trans before. Maybe I should read it again.

That was an awesome little how to.
I did all that already, and the torque converter housing well not disengage from the engine block.
The only thing I didnt do was turning the crank to get at other bolts, what was that about. I have never had to do this step to remove a trans before. Maybe I should read it again.

There are 4 TC to flexplate nuts, did you remove all four?

OH, now it makes sense. remove the inspect/dust cover and remove the four of these bolts by turning the crank. DUH!!!!:slam

Thanks DLF, now I feel stupid.

How exactly should I go about doing this since I cant turn my crank, its seized solid, I've tried.

OH, now it makes sense. remove the inspect/dust cover and remove the four of these bolts by turning the crank. DUH!!!!:slam

Thanks DLF, now I feel stupid.

How exactly should I go about doing this since I cant turn my crank, its seized solid, I've tried.

If you can't turn the crank, you're screwed. :(

Maybe, just maybe, depending upon where the studs and nuts are lined up in relation to the end of the crankshaft, you might be able to get a long flexible blade on a sawsall up there to cut them off. That will, of course, ruin the TC. :p

I want to use a stall converter when I Jmod this trans and put it in my Mark so that is an option that sounds impossible, but fun!

I want to use a stall converter when I Jmod this trans and put it in my Mark so that is an option that sounds impossible, but fun!

The good news is that you'll probably be able to get a wrench on two or three once you remove the inspection plate, and only have to cut one or two. :)

DON'T CUT ANYTHING! Give it hell Straight back and stay out from under it if you're on jackstands. put the pan back on also [ I'm sur you know]. The converter will seperat from the tranny Just don't have muchroom for side to side woble for the guide pins. I also used to do tranny RnR.

DON'T CUT ANYTHING! Give it hell Straight back and stay out from under it if you're on jackstands. put the pan back on also [ I'm sur you know]. The converter will seperat from the tranny Just don't have muchroom for side to side woble for the guide pins. I also used to do tranny RnR.

Duh! :slam

He's absolutely right, I'm an idiot. :eek:

Just be careful with this if you're on jackstands! And don't wiggle it too much or you'll damage the input shaft. Fords are weak to begin with. I'm just sayin.[don't hate me] If you have a pry bar slowly separate each side a little at a time. AND BE CAREFUL!

I would have just dropped the whole engine tranny :q:q:q:qting match out all at once... super easy...

I already cut the bell housing in half to get at those nuts, geee thanks for the help.
Not really. I figured there had to be a way. It is up on stands. The rear is on the ground and I have two sets of stands under the front in different positions. I did try to wiggle it and push back. It didnt move.
Tomorrow I'll try to pry a little and see if it comes out.

I thought about just pullin it all at once but I have no engine hoist. I thought of removing the cross member and oil pan, main caps and just drop the crank out the bottom, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be as easy as it sounds

I already cut the bell housing in half to get at those nuts, geee thanks for the help.
Not really. I figured there had to be a way. It is up on stands. The rear is on the ground and I have two sets of stands under the front in different positions. I did try to wiggle it and push back. It didnt move.
Tomorrow I'll try to pry a little and see if it comes out.

OMG lol
I had to read your post twice.
I thought you sliced up your housing.

Make SURE your car is sturdy on the jack stands, I mean give the car a real good wiggle before you trust in.

Then go under and give it hell, it will wiggle free, make sure you have all the bolts out.
I have made both mistakes before....left in bolt.....and have wiggled a car off the stands. :eek:
Both not any fun.

YA its sturdy. I dont take any chances there. Ill try to get at it tonight after work.
I did put the pan back on and I have a piece of plywood covering the pan and a 2x4 on my floor jack under the pan. I can wiggle the jack a bit and push it back pretty hard without being under it so Ill chime in later with how that went.
I've pulled a few trannys before and none of them were this much trouble.

Members online

No members online now.
Back