removing front drive shaft on aviator

gouldje

LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to see if removing the front drive shaft it increases gas mileage ? I tried to remove the drive shaft but did not have any luck getting the coupling block loose next to the transfer case.

I don't think you can do it if it's AWD. If you have a 4WD selector switch, just keep it in 2 high. Plus you still might not see a big gain because everything will still be turning in the front while your driving. If you could pull the front shafts running into the wheels you might see a improvment.

Like he said if it's AWD then you literally can not do it without major surgery and money. If it's 4wd, in theory you can do this and I've seen Jeep drivers who've snapped their front axle on the trail "limp" home without one. You would also need to plug the hole in the transfer case somehow or you'll be pouring trans case fluid all over until it explodes.

I would absolutely advise against this.

I know it's do-able, the shaft is bolted at the front u-joint and has a slip joint that is coupled near the trans case. It's finding the right person that knows how the coupling in the rear comes apart. or here's another thought removing the rear driveshaft ?? whether or not it's beneficial is the next question.

ok yes you can remove the front shaft, but like said above everything in the front axle will still be spinning so it wont save you much if anything. yes you can run on just the front shaft but i wouldnt advise it its half the size of the rear so theres a good chance it would twist, and also it drives real funny wanna talk about torque steer, i had to do it for a day when my wifes rear ujoint on her v8 explorer was vibrating too hell, it took nothing to light it up and it just drifted where i pointed, but still no saving on gas since everything in the rear axle will still be spinning

Wanna save money on gas?

Get a Civic!

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you're driving around in an SUV. They are not exactly known for their stellar fuel economy.

You know the whole "you play you pay" saying? It applies to fuel economy as well.

it was more of a curiousity thing than anything, trust me if I wanted to save on fuel the Aviator is the least of my worries I got an F-350 Turbo diesel crew cab 4x4

also got an HHR for mileage

it was more of a curiousity thing than anything, trust me if I wanted to save on fuel the Aviator is the least of my worries I got an F-350 Turbo diesel crew cab 4x4

also got an HHR for mileage

A Powerjunk? A Rattlebox? A PowerBOOM? :D

It's Ok, I have one of them too. But I'm getting around 20MPG with diesel and 17-18 with B100.

Members online

Back