removing cats

All recent cat cons have been designed so that they have at least the same flow capacity as the pipes to which they're attached. Unless the cat cons have begun to fail and plug up, there will be NO change in any sort of performance from removing them.

KS

^^^ Absolutely right, pulling the cats is nothing but a waste of time and won't improve performance a bit. They're on there for a reason.

old thread revival...

Cats went bad on my 03 was throwing codes.

Unbolt from the collecters on the manifolds and the reap pipe assembly.

Get large metal rod to fit into pipe.

Bang out old cats till nothing is left in them.

vacuum out if you like.

Rebolt.

Took me about two hours to get it apart and back together.

Still throws codes but i havnt noticed any difference in fuel economy hovering around 22 or so around town and sounds throatier.

i just replaced the bolts and hardware to remount them for around 5 bucks.

It now has a noticeable increase in acceleration compared to having them in.

No numbers to prove any gains but for free im happy with the results =)

The reason you will notice a gain is because you are regaining the loss of power that the plugged up cat caused.

Does anyone know exactly what it is that plugs a catalytic converter? Also, I heard someone say that if a hole is drilled and carburetor cleaner is sprayed into the front / upstream while its hot and the car running that it would clean it. Could there be any truth to this? Little sketchy about drilling holes in my exhaust...

old thread revival...

Cats went bad on my 03 was throwing codes.

Unbolt from the collecters on the manifolds and the reap pipe assembly.

Get large metal rod to fit into pipe.

Bang out old cats till nothing is left in them.

vacuum out if you like.

Rebolt.

Took me about two hours to get it apart and back together.

Still throws codes but i havnt noticed any difference in fuel economy hovering around 22 or so around town and sounds throatier.

i just replaced the bolts and hardware to remount them for around 5 bucks.

It now has a noticeable increase in acceleration compared to having them in.

No numbers to prove any gains but for free im happy with the results =)
I'm thinking that will throw off the air to fuel ratio even more and eventually cause bigger problem.

Unburned gasoline burns when it hits the very hot catalytic converter. This makes it very very hot and it can melt the internals together, clogging it.

Unburned gasoline burns when it hits the very hot catalytic converter. This makes it very very hot and it can melt the internals together, clogging it.
What material is the internal? If I were to know what it is then maybe I can find something that can clean it? Is that the ONLY way a cat becomes plugged or does an excess of carbon build up cause this too? Just hoping for a way around replacing the EXPENSIVE REPAIR!!

What would cause gas to reach it without it being burned? A bad plug or coil maybe? Everything seems to run fine except when it starts. There are some rough mornings but it runs great when it's hot. Advice?

Old thread but cat delete is useless unless it's clogged and you have no money or you want to install a performance catback.. every since I removed the cats on my 00 ls I noticed a loss of low end torque for some reason

A few days driving around with no cat it was still quiet but had a leak and sounded horrible.

I got pulled the next day for a exhaust leak and the cops told me to rev my car while this other cop with a long ass nose got on his knees behind my car exhaust and as I revved it the guy behind the car said outloud "no muffler no catalyst converter " and I got a ticket for unsafe muffler or something lol .
I almost told the cop if he keeps smelling exhausts like that he will end up in the hospital.. I did not see him use a meter or someshit what an idiot

I do plan on doing a complet k&n intake and the magnaflows in place of the stock mufflers. Maybe eventuallyan sct. I do realize that after replacing the mufflers the cats are the biggest restriction in the exhaust system. If i can do it for 40 bucks worth of pipe or less and it gains even the slightest feul milage and performance increase plus help the sound a bit. I will consider it well worth my time. Not too mention where i bring my scrap i could probabaly get 15 a peice for the cats making it a very cheap mod. I just want to know if it will set codes or not, cause that would be a deal breaker for me. i hate cels on nice vehichles.
Likely it will set see the oxygen sensors are missing causing codes to be set. I watched Engine Masters compair no cat to a cat exhaust system. It gains a whopping 5 hp without cats

Members online

Back